Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to program SPI Flash devices via JTAG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jack

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to program SPI Flash devices with JTAG?
I wish to programm SPI FLASH M25P20 (STMicroelectronics)
in-system via JTAG in MAX3064ATC44-10.

Could you help me with any link, info, sources, etc.
how make this, please?

First of all....what is the intention of doing this? Just initial programming after PCB manufacturing?

If so then look at some JTAG flash programming tools like jflash or jtag from the openwince project and modify it for SPI than normal flash eprom programming.

Iw ould reconsider zour design idea for ISP SPI programming. Though the JTAG chain for BSD on the MAX device might be small you have to serial devices. First you shift out pin levels to the MAX which then should represent the SPI levels which is also a serial protocol. So it might take some long time for programming...guessing around 10 - 30 minutes or even more....

you shuld write own program to do that. on jtag cable are enough pins for doing that. it could be quite simple, about 2kb of code... (c++) :)
with good old DOS :)

i forgot to add, if cpld has enought pins, make some inside some kind of bridge to direct connection to flash, that mean, that you dont have to shift jtag registers and wait, wait, wait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back