Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to produce short pulses (comb generator) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugen_E

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
comb generator

Hello,

I need to make a comb generator (discrete) to produce marker frequencies with 10MHz spacing, with almost constant level to at least 1GHz.
I will use a 10MHz crystall oscillator and a pulse generator, with t<1 ns.

What circuits can be used for this - that don't include step recovery diodes and exotic parts.

A nonlinear amplifier/multiplier using transistors with transition frequency > 6 GHz would be better?

Thanks

comb generator >1 ghz circuit

Thanks for the reply.

I need this for a comb generator, to generate marker frequencies, not for testing diodes. So the pulse amplitude doesn't have to be high, but the pulse width should be < 1ns, thus the rise/fall times should be, the lowest possible.
So I need something that feed with 10MHz will generate quite constant armonics (the levels for odd or even should be near) to at least 1GHz.

I mean something like in this style, maybe with a few design considerations/equations:
http://www.vk2zay.net/article.php/41

The simple harmonic generators will never give you equal spectral lines if you ask me. The variation in the amplitudes is more than 10dBs. What would help you is a high-speed PRBS generator with at least 2.5Gbps bit rate, 5Gbps recommended. The PRBS spectrum consists of discrete lines with more or less sin(x)/x envelope. You must calculate the PRBS polynomial order and clock frequency for the exact 10MHz spacing. It is no easy task to build a PRBS generator yourself, look at existing solutions.

Eugen_E

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks. I won't go so complex, because is not a professional application... wanted to know the best option with common parts.
The BAT41 Schottky diode can be used at frequencies in the range of hundreds MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.