Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to produce 5, 6 and 9V DC from a 3V DC battery ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhekisizwe

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi evryone, does anyone have an idea of how to produce 5, 6 and 9V DC from a 3V DC battery as efficient as possible with less component count. The circuit should be very small, say, about a matchbox size. Thanks in advance. I know that we need a boost regulator but i dont want to design 3 different boost regulators for the 3 different output voltages.Thanks in advance

Power supply design?

I think you should try: Fly-back converter!
It is very simple and also good efficient.

Re: Power supply design?

bhekisizwe said:
I know that we need a boost regulator but i dont want to design 3 different boost regulators for the 3 different output voltages

Make one boost for 9V and then make 5V and 6V with linear regulators.

There could be a more elegant way, which would involve a transformer with 3 secondary windings with different numbers of turns for 5,6 and 9.

Just my $0.02

u may use an optocoupler IC i think 7800 series...search it on google...it will give u output of 5v and higher.....check for other modules.

googles is the best option...otherwise u may use bjt switch circuits....

You can wind your own custom transformer if you have a ferrite ring. I have found them in old televisions. Wrap a primary winding through the ring, to apply to the boost converter. Then wrap seperate windings of various turns for each desired output.

AR15 said:
You can wind your own custom transformer if you have a ferrite ring. I have found them in old televisions. Wrap a primary winding through the ring, to apply to the boost converter. Then wrap seperate windings of various turns for each desired output.
The only question with this type of design: which channel to use for feedback?

Power supply design?

you can use step up(boost converter) cnverter using oscilator that vork with 3volt such as cmos component.
you can find this topology in any smps book.

The most efficient way would be three separate switching boost regulators. Maxim-IC makes so many different switchers and some of them are quite good at needing a minimum of external parts.

Stepping up such a low voltage to 9V and then linearily dropping it back down is going to waste huge amounts of power unless current drawn is pretty small.

This is what I would do :) In fact, if you choose a regulator with variable output, you can sample one part type and vary the voltages with a resistor in each circuit...simple!

Power supply design?

I think use a boost converter and res network can produce these 3 voltages

think you should try: Fly-back converter!
It is very simple and also good efficient.

or use transformers of different turns
or check LM337 the refernce voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back