Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure voltage and current of lead acid battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajsundar08

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
frndz
i wanted to measure battery charge voltage and current of lead acid battery of current voltage value 48V,10A . i am using PIC as brain . how can i get it done ????
please help me in this regard..

what sensor shall i use 4 current measurement ??? or else when its sense resistor of 1 ohm,480W
how to connect it with microcontroller ???

thanx in advance
rajsundar
Mod: Always write headings in Detail. Just Writing "doubts in" will make most of the memebers just ignore your post.Anyways its changed now.

Why don't you use a Rogowski coil to measure the current.

rajsundar08 said:
frndz...i wanted to measure battery charge voltage and current of lead acid battery of current voltage value 48V,10A . i am using PIC as brain . how can i get it done ???? please help me in this regard..
what sensor shall i use 4 current measurement ??? or else when its sense resistor of 1 ohm,480W...how to connect it with microcontroller ???
thanx in advance
rajsundar
You may use the PIC's ADC to measure the voltage and use a load across to see the health of the battery while powering. You may use a shunt in series to the load and connect the ADC across the Shunt which will also monitor the current supplied to the load. A resistor of 1 Ω 480 watts will be as big as your table...:D

Why don't you use a Rogowski coil to measure the current.
Do you know how to measure a DC current with a Rogowski coil? I'm curious.

or you can size the sensing resistor appropriately and use hcpl7840, and then use the ADC to measure the voltage drop across sensing resitor

You can get an idea about rogowski coile from the following link
**broken link removed**

A 1 ohm resistor is pretty high value for a shunt resistor. We usually use a .1 ohm or smaller resistor for measuring currents. We sometimes use a copper trace on the PCB. I'd suggest using a 'High-Side Current-Sense Amplifier' go convert the voltage drop across the resistor to a easily measured voltage. One that we use a lot is the Maxim MAX4173.

Max is a good IC & their are some other chips too, as Allegros bipolar sensor: ACS706, w*w.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/0706/0706-20A.pdf, on the market...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.