Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure the capacitance value .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvmanikandan

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
i was measured the capacitance value for 0603 package smd component.
the specification is 33pf ±5%.but the measured value is 41pf.it is out of spec.
Value measured in RLC meter (10khz).

examble value
spec. ----- measured value
1. 470pf±10% ---- 510pf
2.33pf±5% ---- 41.2pf

pls.... Any one suggest to measure the capacitance value....

In each case, the value is about 40pF too high but not proportional to the original value. this suggests there is something else in your tester which is adding 40pF to the reading. Have you compensated for the capacitance of the test wiring and component holder ?

Try measuring exactly as though the component was there, but leave it out. This will show the residual capacitance of the test equipment which you should subtract from the capacitor you are measuring.

Brian.

kvmanikandan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hey 40pf is added only when measured 470 pf (=~8%)

but 8.2 is added when measuring 33pf ( =24% !!)

So the RLC meter has some serious issues here !

kvmanikandan

Try measuring a brand new SMD capacitor just opened from the packing. You'll know the accuracy of the Meter or the said component is wrong....Cheers

kvmanikandan

Thanks to all...

The RLC meter is good condition.because this calibrate 3 months once.my test condition also good.what can i do.any another test method is there pls guide me...

kvmanikandan said:
The RLC meter is good condition.because this calibrate 3 months once.my test condition also good.what can i do.any another test method is there pls guide me...
Obviously you'll have to blame the components now. Is there any other way out?.....

kvmanikandan

Hi kvmanikandan,
I think this is like an addition of some variing capacitances of your measuring wires!
Do you apply "Kelvin wires" please?
K.

kvmanikandan

Status
Not open for further replies.