Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure inductance of a coil without using LCR meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmadithya

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to measure the inductance(L) of a certain coil I have wound.How do I do it experimentally without using LCR meter?

What you need is a variable frequency source and a sensitive DVM and a 1M resistor and a selection of capacitors to resonate the coil. . Connect the signal generator to the DVM with the 1M ohm resistor. Connect your coil to the DVM. Connect a suitable capacitor between the coil and earth. Twiddle the signal generator until the level on the DVM dips, this is the resonant frequency. with the value of C known, the frequency known, you can calculate the value of L.
A much less accurate way is to use a CRO's "cal out". If your CRO has one, connect a suitable capacitor across your coil and put them across the cal output. If you examine the wave form it will be a series of damped oscillations at the resonant frequency and then do the calculations. for more accuracy, feed the cal to the tuned circuit via a 100K resistor and use a 10:1 probe to reduce the stray capacity across the tuned circuit.
Frank

please tell us what instrument do you have access to ... you can do it without an lcr meter, but you need some other(s)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back