Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to manage "side" projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcaram

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been dealing with this problem for a while:

How do you manage a hardware design project which is not part of your (day) job and your team is not contractually tied to it or to you?

For example, right now I'm an ECE graduate student and I'm working on developing some test equipment, which is totally unrelated to my school/research work, part of it will probably be released as open-source hardware, and my collaborators are a couple of other graduate students that I've recruited. There is no money involved right now, maybe just some spending (mostly me) on prototyping, and they are in it for the learning and potential start-up money. The time for the project is mostly after-work/school time.

Most projects I'm interested in are of fair complexity, requiring several team members and last several months to several years. The result of this is that I need to spend most of my time managing the projects when the number of people working on them is >=3. The nature of the projects make it very hard to split into small parts and delegate. It's almost impossible to set deadlines as each person's contribution to the projects varies a lot from person to person and throughout time. The problem get really bad when one person's progress depends on others' progress.

I've looked all over the internet and explored some technology management books, but everything refers to projects within a company. Nothing that I can really use to organize a project like this. It's surprising because these days informal collaboration is so popular (mostly open-source software).

I would really like to find some solid material on the subject. Thanks all.

There are several project/task management tools are available for free. you can check "redmine wiki" tool for your purpose.
Also, you can manage your task on online tools like- Teamwork

mishrashashi,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I've tested many tools and techniques for general project management. These do not address the specifics of this kind of problem. Thanks again.

I can suggest you to use wiki redmine. it is user friendly. I have experience with this tool. it is helpful to me to manage several projects on single platform. you can create project wise pages. where you can track your work effort. if a team is involve in project, individuals work also can be tracked.
There are option to define time frame, track spent time, issue tracking and managing sub tasks. And most important, its free.

For finance management, you need to work on different tool.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back