Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make Linux CD bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack// ani

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I’m having RedHat Linux 8.2 CD, which was copied from hard disk. Now the disk is not booting at all! What can I do to make it bootable; it is a multi session disk.

Thanks.

well my doubt is.. RHEL 3 is 4 cds.. i want to copy them to a DVD so that it is bootable.. so that when it askes for the subsequent cd.. it shud recognize from the same DVD and it shud copy..

with regards,

I ALSO INSTALLED RH 8.0.JUST DOWNLOAD THE ISO'S FROM ONE OF THE SEVERAL MIRRORS AVAILABLE AND JUST BURN THEM TO CD'.ATLEAST I DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM IN MAKING BOOTABLE CD'S.

Oh yes you burned the cd's form iso image but I first copied the original cds to the hard disk and then burned the cds, this is where the problrm lies.

Any solution.......

if u use nero to write the iso files.i have had this problem.it will not have option of checking the data written on the cd for errors.so i was not able to boot when in tried installing linux using that cd.the solution is to write *iso files at a lower write speed to ensure that data is written properly.it must be one of those dumd cd writing errors caused by writer even in your case also.

regards
amarnath

Did the checksum pass verification? In my installation process of Fedora, the first CD was corrupted and my PC failed to boot up. After fixing the bad disc, I successfully set up the OS.

Jack// ani said:
Oh yes you burned the cd's form iso image but I first copied the original cds to the hard disk and then burned the cds, this is where the problrm lies.

Any solution.......
If you just copied the contents of the CD1 to a harddisk directory by using WINISO extraction or DAEMON CD Mounting, but NOT the ISO image of CD1 to harddisk, then you had lost the CD1's boot track because it is hiddened and didn't copy to harddisk. I suppose you have to re-download from WEB this CD1's ISO image then use "CD to CD copy method" of Nero, recommend you use it, then do a Cloned CD1. For Nero, the steps are as follows:

1. get this CD1's ISO to a directory, said C:\Temp, for example.
2. start Nero.
3. the Nero Wizard will pop up, then select the "CD" radio button, then click "Next".
4. On the next Nero Wizard window, select the "Compile a new CD" radio button, then click "Next".
5. On the next Nero Wizard window, select the "Other CD formats" radio button, then click "Next".
6. On the next Nero Wizard window, select the "Create a CD from an image file" radio button, the click "Next".
7. On the next Nero Wizad window, then click "Finish" push button.
8. Then pop-up a file selection window, here you brouwse to that CD1's ISO image, said C:\Temp\CD1.ISO, for example, click "Open" push button to close this window.
9. After that, you continue by following the guides to complete burning your CD, this time you should your CD1 cloned from its ISO image. And it is BOOTABLE.

But if you want to Customize you CD1's content and make it Bootable, you can use WINISO to modify this ISO image whatever you want. You even can use this tool to extract this ISO image's boot track and save it into harddisk for later others' CD use, detailed steps you may refer to its "Bootable CD" menu.

hope these helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.