Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to limit the current through a transformer? (AC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogl

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
current regulation (AC)

I would like to limit the current through the transformer at the primary side of the transformer which is connected to 230V AC. How can i do that?

current regulation (AC)

Why would you want to do that? Current through primary coils is (relatively) proportional to current through secondary coils.

Sputnik :idea:

Re: current regulation (AC)

Because i would like to limit the current through the secondary coil when i short circuit the output.

current regulation (AC)

Put a constant current regulator on the secondary winding. 230V is a rather high and dangerous voltage to work with. Unless you are testing the transformer its self when it is shorted, and not the circuitry. I don't have any brilliant ideas (as of yet) but I shall endever to ponder on this problem you have presented before me :D

Sputnik :idea:

Some transformers have build-in polyswitch. It limits primary current and protects transformers against overloads.
More info on tis issue here:
**broken link removed**

fogl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

If you're using it for circuit protection, use a fuse - it's always worthwhile unless it's going to blow a lot - in which case a polyswitch as mentioned or a circuit breaker.

This is a HV transformer, that is why a would like to limit the current at the primary coil.

Limit it using HV fuses or circuit breaker.

I believe you have an HV switchboard to connect the main line to the transformer and the switchboard should have some protection devices. In my place, my MV switchboard's protection device is fuse.

aaNg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back