Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to judge if a MOSFET is good or fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboColor

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am meeting a problem that the MOSFET I bought is bad one that can never work. Maybe they are pulled down by dealer from some old PCB board. So I want to know how to judge if they are good one or fault one with help of some simple tool, eg. multi-meter.

Thanks a lot!

Well, the easiest way is to measure its terminals with a multimeter ( in diode test or resistance mode) and compare the measurements with a reliable one. If you don't have any other MOSFET's in your hand, then you can make these tests with the multimeter:

1 - Most of the time, a faulted MOSFET has at least two of its terminals short circuited. This is the first thing you need to check. But before making this test, make sure that the gate capacitance of the MOSFET is discharged. Or you could see a short circuit in D-S even if the MOSFET is good, since the MOSFET would be on.

2 - D-S should behave like a diode.
In diode test mode, the multimeter should show a value like 0.XXX volts in one direction and infinity in the other. In resistance measurement mode, it should show some value in one direction and show infinity in the other direction.

3 - The resistance between G-D and G-S should be infinite

But if i were you, i would simply build a circuit with a lamp and try to trigger the MOSFET to see if it works or not.

RoboColor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much. Because the resistance between pins of MOSFET is very large, except the diode terminal, so I think I'd better test the MOSFET with a lamp.

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back