Not open for further replies.

versace427

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gps to pic

I'm not sure how to do this...and I'm also not sure what PIC to use. I think I want to use PIC 16F690. The output from the PIC will be sent to a Spartan3 board. This is a small part of a project that I am working on with a group of people. I'm responsible for the GPS. We have to build an autonomous robot, similar to the DARPA challenge. I have never worked on anything like this before and would appreciate any insight.

I'm using the Garmin 18LVC. I have already connected it to a DB-9 connector and have been able to read the output sentences. I may also need some example code..if anyone has it. The GPS is a secondary system to deadreckoning. The robot will also have ultrasonic sensors, IR sensors, compass and servo along wiht other mechanisms that will enable to run a course.

I'm also not sure what output sentences I should capture..$GPGGL? Considering that every ASCII is 8 bits will the 16F690 handle the data well?

Thanks

versace427

gps pic

Maybe you can utalize this example, or parts of it, to connect a PIC microcontroller with a GPS receiver:
http://www.ke4nyv.com/gpslcd.htm

The GLL sentence is the easiest to read as it only contains Lat and Long, so use it ..
$GPGLL,4916.45,N,12311.12,W,225444,A,*31

Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…