Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to interface a DAC to a VCXO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shell3

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a stable oscillator with digital tuning: 19.44 MHz +/- 100ppm. Since I am
not familiar with analog design: is it possible to use a digital to analog converter
and connect the DAC output to the Control Voltage pin of the VCXO. This way it
will be possible load a "digital" value in the DAC to tune the VCXO.
I did not find any app note on this subject, so I wonder....

Shell3
Thank you

Re: VCXO digital tuning

If you try to convert first into voltage domain and then use a varactor the tuning range of +-100ppm is not achiveable with integrated diodes like P+/NWELL. You have to use switch cap tuning. So the digital value control direct the switching.

The application in the above reference is using a VCXO for a 7.5e-9/V tuning gain. So hardly +-100ppm=+-100e-6. Please read the paper!

VCXO digital tuning

hi, i think shell3's problem is how to interface a DAC to a VCXO but not how to design a VCXO. :)

So it is a problem belonging to

Analog Circuit Design

I tought it is an integration problem.

ddt694 paper is helping. I just need to add a Low Pass Filter bethween the the DAC and the VCXO.

I will switch new questions to Analog Circuit Design forum.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back