Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to increase the range of IR transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyraper

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
these are the specs of IR i am using, i have to increase its range upto 10m..so what should i do ,is there any circuit in which i connect it , i have already inserted a resistence of 46 ohm in order to operate it .

Attachments

• IR used for project (spects).png
    IR used for project (spects).png
    10.7 KB · Views: 496

The IR diode will provide output power of maximum as given in spec. What people do to increase range is that they add 4-5 diodes in parallel for higher output power. This increases range.

i have used a parallel combination and it worked really fine! the prob is that whether u increase its input power or u decrease the resistance of its path both would increase the current through the IR diode and it would damage the IR more quicker than u could expect!

Use a pulse system to switch your current on and off. The receiver then can be tuned to this switching frequency, which allows more stable higher gain. use a focussing reflector, get a better photo diode detector. . .
Frank

The IR diode will provide output power of maximum as given in spec. What people do to increase range is that they add 4-5 diodes in parallel for higher output power. This increases range.

but i also want that these IR diodes must have a pointing beam , if i use 4-5 diodes n parallel will there beam be a pointing beam like red laser because the IR i have am using now have a pointing beam like red laser..so what will i do further in order to collimate that transmitted IR beams for 4-5 diodes.

- - - Updated - - -

but i also want that these IR diodes must have a pointing beam , if i use 4-5 diodes n parallel will there beam be a pointing beam like red laser because the IR i have am using now have a pointing beam like red laser..so what will i do further in order to collimate that transmitted IR beams for 4-5 diodes.

The problem with the spec's for your IR LED is that its maximum allowed current rating is continuous (for a night camera?). The spec's for maximum PULSED current and its duration are not shown.

IR LEDs used in remote controls are spec'd and used with small-duration pulses that are 1000mA or more.

If its a pointing beam like then the beam's diameter will increase by adding 4-5 diodes. The diode's power dissipation is less for what you want to do. 4-5 parallel diodes will increase the IR density, mostly in the center of the beam...
Try to keep the diodes as closer as possible with each other, in a circular formation, and all facing in same angle.

try keeping it close enough,and even if that doesnt satisfies your issue,simply use any convex lens ,its simple and efficient.

Are you sure that this is a transmitter output problem,
and not a receiver sensitivity problem? Trying to fix a
square-law attenuation by adding linearly to the output
power, only goes so far (heh).

The specs say output power is 50mW. That sounds like more than enough for a 10m range, assuming some kind of half-decent receiver at the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back