Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement an equation describing a 2 dimensional curve in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiztronix

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone,
i've just started with HFSS, and i wanna know how to implement an equation describing a 2 dimensional curve, as a structure in HFSS... i'm trying to design a sinous antenna, so if anyone has done it before, PLEASE help me out!!

Re: HFSS help needed!

There's nothing much you can do in HFSS. You must make the structure with another software (you can write a AutoLISP code and draw the curve in AutoCAD) and import it in HFSS!

wiztronix

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks a ton!

hey thanks, vfurlan for the info you have given.. i do have the autolisp routine for getting the curve. its just that i wanted to ask if i can do it in hfss directly.. anyway.. i'll try that out and get back to you..

hey btw.. just outta curiosity.. can i do that in agilents ADS??

Re: thanks a ton!

wiztronix said:
hey thanks, vfurlan for the info you have given.. i do have the autolisp routine for getting the curve. its just that i wanted to ask if i can do it in hfss directly.. anyway.. i'll try that out and get back to you..

Can you download the autolisp routine. I have just started a new project and I need the routine for a 2d curve.
Thanks

lisp routine!

hey vfurlan, sorry for the delay, i was really bogged down a coupla days.. anyway.. here's the routine for the sinous arm... hope ya find it useful!

cheers,
wiztronix

more help

infact i have an MS thesis of one fellow from the Univ of Virginia, who talks abt using phased arrays of such sinous arms... thats where the LISP routine has come from.. would you be interested in the thesis?? i could put it up one of these days if it'd be of some help to you...

Yes thanks. It wouldn't hurt to have it. I'm working on a diferent kind of antennas but I'm interested in anything new.
Take your time, it seems edaboard have problems (again) :(!

CAD help needed

hey vfurlan, i have never worked with CAD stuff, so i dont really know how to go about using that lisp routine in a CAD package and then importing it into HFSS.. could you create the required CAD file?? its probably the .dfx file, isnt it??

someone also suggested that it would be easier to do all this in some package called FEKO (www.feko.info)
i'm just reading up about it and seeing if its feasible..

have you ever worked on it??

i'll upload that sinous thesis in a day or two...

cheers,
wiztronix

Unfortunately I can't. I changed my job and here we don't use AutoCAD. Soon I should continue my work on Vivaldi antennas so we will probably get AutoCAD, but for now...!

I never used FEKO but I know MoM and it seems interesting.

oh.. too bad..

speaking of MoM, i've worked on something called NEC-WINPRO that uses the MoM.. i did the design for a log periodic antenna during my summmer school with that.. the softweare is a pretty neat piece of work... seen what its like?

where and on what do you work these days??

Yes, I worked with NEC. This software is a beautiful example of MoM. MoM is best for wire antenna (and simplest to implement). NEC also has some limitations tipical of MoM on wire antennas.
I'm in Italy working on broadband and multyband antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back