Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement a standby safety controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit_singh_tara

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to implement a standby controller ,i.e if 1 controller fails the other should start operating and display 1st controller failure....i dont want to use uart.

Re: safety controller ?

i dont want to use uart
You should begin telling about the kind of controller. which kind of failure you expect and how you think to detect a failure.
If any kind of safety regulations are involved, the solution may be prescribed already.

safety controller ?

The system is called a redundant system, one system is guarding the main system in case of failure.

From your super short description, this is the only info I can give to you...you don't need UART (just feel like saying it because I don't know what system are you talking about).

Try to be more systematic in asking questions.

Re: safety controller ?

you need to identify potential failures. Say your thermocouple failed on the first controller - the microprocessor is still working and should be able to identify the failure and take the appropriate action. In the case where your microcontroller has failed for whatever reason, the 'watchdog' or charge pump controlling the changeover relay would stop being 'kicked' and therefore the relay would drop out. If the controller is working correctly, your controller would toggle a port pin to kick the watchdog/ charge pump.

Therefore your watchdog circuit would drop the relay out if:
1/the unit lost power
2/the microcontroller stopped executing
3/a failure was detected

In addition, I would have at least thermal fuse or bimetal thermal switch in line with the heater in case the heater was turned fully on and caused an overtemperature condition. Never trust a computer!

The design of critical systems is outlined in an European Union document EN6xxxx whose exact number escapes me at the moment regarding machine safety and safety systems. I'd suggest you do a Google for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back