Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get the Q value of a spiral in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

llooll0001

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm working on a Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) project, and the Q value is important for my study. Before making a real spiral I hope to do some simulation by HFSS.

The problem is how to get the Q value in HFSS when the spiral is in self-resonance. I have already get its self-resonant freq by sweeping the S para. But how to calculate the Q value? Hope to get some details here

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm working on a Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) project, and the Q value is important for my study. Before making a real spiral I hope to do some simulation by HFSS.

The problem is how to get the Q value in HFSS when the spiral is in self-resonance. I have already get its self-resonant freq by sweeping the S para. But how to calculate the Q value? Hope to get some details here

Thanks

I know there's an example in the Examples directory of finding the Q of a resonator using the eigenmode solver. That might help you.

Dave

If you model it as a 2-port element, make sure you have a good return path (the two port need to share ground).

To talface65, I somehow found using Z-parameter generates more accurate result than Y-parameters.

If using a 2 port element, you should use the Admittance as it assumes all other ports in the network are shorted except the port of interest. For a single port element, Impedance and Admittance will give same results. For a multi-port network, you will get very different answers as the Z matrix determines all other impedances by exciting 1 amp of current and measuring the voltage over all other ports, hence the other ports are open (or in the case of an inductor, parasitic capacitance due to poor return path :) ). The Y matrix determines all other Admittances by exciting 1 volt and measuring the current at all other ports, hence the ports are short and a return path is offered.

I may be wrong, but it has worked for me :)

Have Fun

Reactions: nvt088

nvt088

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the explanation.

I was doing a one-port simulation the other port of the inductor is simply short by a PEC boundary condition. I don't quite understand in this case why Y and Z-parameter give slightly different result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back