Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get rid of noise around 200MHz caused by USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uoficowboy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi - I have a device that I'm doing EMC testing on. I'm seeing narrow band noise around 200MHz at harmonics of 12MHz. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it? I tried putting a large capacitor (0603 300pf) from the D+ line to GND and from the D- line to GND, and that fixed it, but puts me out of USB spec (the spec only allows 75pf). I tried a 75pf capacitor instead and it was not enough - the noise was still there, just a little smaller.

The device is a small PCB with a USB microcontroller on it. It has about 6" of cable with a USB-A connector on the other end. The cable is shielded and the shield is tied to the connector's shield but not to anything on the PCB. The device is connected to a laptop during this testing. The laptop, without this device connected, is perfectly quiet at the frequencies of interest.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Try using balun (ferrite bead) at USB cable.

Try using balun (ferrite bead) at USB cable.

I'm not sure what you mean by balun. My guess is that that is not the word you meant.

There already is a ferrite bead in line with the +5V line. I've been thinking about trying to put ferrites in series with the data lines as well, but I have not had a chance to play with that just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.