Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get into the linux system without reinstalling it after losing GRUB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njfane

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I used to have two systems in my computer, XP and linux, using grub as bootloader, now I reinstalled the XP, and lost the grub during format the disk, I don't know how to get into the linux anymore.
can anybody tell me how to get into the linux system without reinstalling it.

Re: about grub

Windows bootloader has problem with linux boot loader and damage it while linux are not
when you install a new windows or reinstall windows this problem will happen
if both your windows and linux have damaged you can rebuilt their boot loader
first with windows bootloadedr repair your windows then repair linux with its reboot diskette acoording linux command line
if just your linux has damaged do just the second part(repair with linux diskette)
if you do not know their command or how to make thier diskete i can tell you then

about grub

Boot the m/c with linux resuce disk
and do the following
dd if=/dev/hda of=/linuxboot.lnx bs=512 count=1
and cp the /linuxboot.lnx to floopy
and reboot the m/c in windows
do the following
copy linuxboot.lnx to c:\
edit boot.in
and enter the following line the end
c:\linuxboot.lnx="GNULINUX"

and reboot the m/c in dual boot mode

about grub

again, this is assuming you did NOT format the drive. i have lost grub several times, it's not too big a deal to get back - i usually use the cd to refresh it but if you formatted when you installed xp it's gone.

you may consider a virtual machine in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.