How to get dynamic consumption by spice netlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william_luo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everyone

I designed a circuit through cadence virtuoso and extracted the spice netlist (.scs) from the ADE. Then I want to do circuit simulation many many times with different input variables. So I want to do this just by spectre netlist coding (like using "spectre mysim.spi" in command line), but I don't know how to write the spice code to get the dynamic energy consumption for the circuit. Can anybody show me the details of this or give me a few simple examples?

Thanks a lot!

-Wayne

• Plot the current consumption over many periods
  • Use the ADE waveform calculator to integrate the current over many periods (function: integ or iinteg)
  • Then divide by the integration time - you get the mean integrated current I
  • If the voltage changes, do the same for the voltage V
  • Multiply V * I = P , print this dynamic power consumption P
  • Save this procedure to an OCEAN script file (.oc)
  • You can modify this OCEAN script file to run analyses with your different variables
  • Run the SPECTRE simulations by using these OCEAN scripts

Thank you so much for giving me such a good guide and it's been pretty helpful.

Hi, erikl. I followed the steps above, but after saving the procedure to an ocean script file, I can't find any code segment containing power computation (like integ or V*I=P) in that ocean file (also can't find them in the spectre netlist I extracted). The spectre netlist and ocean script file seems just give me the settings about this simulation. If I use the calculator, the value of dynamic consumption is shown in Result Display Window by click "Tools" -> "Table" in the calculator window. I will get the correct result but can't have the code for doing this. Could you help me check for this? Thanks a lot

Hi william,

I didn't know that the ocean file doesn't save the calculation procedure. I think you can find the dynamic consumption value also in a table file. But of course you have to manually repeat the calculation for each parameter set (using the ADE calculator).

But perhaps you could find a possibility to export the current-vs-time values to a math tool like Matlab or Exel, and have the calculations run there automatically?

Good luck!
erikl

I can add the expression from the calculator into the ADE outputs (Outputs->Setup), then it would also appear in the saved OCEAN script.
Thanks a lot, erikl !

Reactions: erikl

erikl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…