Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get dynamic consumption by spice netlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william_luo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everyone

I designed a circuit through cadence virtuoso and extracted the spice netlist (.scs) from the ADE. Then I want to do circuit simulation many many times with different input variables. So I want to do this just by spectre netlist coding (like using "spectre mysim.spi" in command line), but I don't know how to write the spice code to get the dynamic energy consumption for the circuit. Can anybody show me the details of this or give me a few simple examples?

Thanks a lot!

-Wayne

• Plot the current consumption over many periods
  • Use the ADE waveform calculator to integrate the current over many periods (function: integ or iinteg)
  • Then divide by the integration time - you get the mean integrated current I
  • If the voltage changes, do the same for the voltage V
  • Multiply V * I = P , print this dynamic power consumption P
  • Save this procedure to an OCEAN script file (.oc)
  • You can modify this OCEAN script file to run analyses with your different variables
  • Run the SPECTRE simulations by using these OCEAN scripts

Thank you so much for giving me such a good guide and it's been pretty helpful.

Hi, erikl. I followed the steps above, but after saving the procedure to an ocean script file, I can't find any code segment containing power computation (like integ or V*I=P) in that ocean file (also can't find them in the spectre netlist I extracted). The spectre netlist and ocean script file seems just give me the settings about this simulation. If I use the calculator, the value of dynamic consumption is shown in Result Display Window by click "Tools" -> "Table" in the calculator window. I will get the correct result but can't have the code for doing this. Could you help me check for this? Thanks a lot

Hi william,

I didn't know that the ocean file doesn't save the calculation procedure. I think you can find the dynamic consumption value also in a table file. But of course you have to manually repeat the calculation for each parameter set (using the ADE calculator).

But perhaps you could find a possibility to export the current-vs-time values to a math tool like Matlab or Exel, and have the calculations run there automatically?

Good luck!
erikl

I can add the expression from the calculator into the ADE outputs (Outputs->Setup), then it would also appear in the saved OCEAN script.
Thanks a lot, erikl !

Reactions: erikl

erikl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back