How to get conductor attenuation and dieletric attenuation in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x529

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a microstrip line, If I want to get conductor attenuation, then I add new material with the same permittivity and the loss tangent is zero. Then the re(Gamma(1)) is the conductor attenuation;
If I want to get dieletric attenuation, then I change the conductor to be PEC material. Then the re(Gamma(1)) is the dieletric attenuation;
Is this the right thing to do like that?And If I do that like above saying, what are the units? Np/m or db/m?
How can I get the get conductor attenuation and dieletric attenuation like the picture? (The three picture has different units)
Thanks~

Attachments

• QQ图片20210602220929.png
    34 KB · Views: 135

I do that task as you described. From insertion loss of the simulated line and known line length, you can then calculate dB/mm or dB/m or whatever you need. If your simulation gives 1dB for 500µm length, that is 2dB/mm. It's really that simple.

I do that task as you described. From insertion loss of the simulated line and known line length, you can then calculate dB/mm or dB/m or whatever you need. If your simulation gives 1dB for 500µm length, that is 2dB/mm. It's really that simple.
Thanks for your answer. I still have a question looking forward to your reply.
I want to get attenuation loss, not insertion loss,and the attenuation loss may get from re(Gamma) due to γ=a+jB?
so what's the right way to get the result like the picture
Thanks~

Thanks for your answer. I add expression like in the following picture in HFSS. And then the loss/the total length is the right?
Thanks you!

Yes, that's how I calculate these values. You can double check your equation with a lossy line that is well matched (S11 very small), and a mismatched lossless line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…