Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get conductor attenuation and dieletric attenuation in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x529

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a microstrip line, If I want to get conductor attenuation, then I add new material with the same permittivity and the loss tangent is zero. Then the re(Gamma(1)) is the conductor attenuation;
If I want to get dieletric attenuation, then I change the conductor to be PEC material. Then the re(Gamma(1)) is the dieletric attenuation;
Is this the right thing to do like that?And If I do that like above saying, what are the units? Np/m or db/m?
How can I get the get conductor attenuation and dieletric attenuation like the picture? (The three picture has different units)
Thanks~
QQ图片20210602214415.pngQQ图片20210602220923.png

Attachments

• QQ图片20210602220929.png
    QQ图片20210602220929.png
    34 KB · Views: 134

I do that task as you described. From insertion loss of the simulated line and known line length, you can then calculate dB/mm or dB/m or whatever you need. If your simulation gives 1dB for 500µm length, that is 2dB/mm. It's really that simple.

I do that task as you described. From insertion loss of the simulated line and known line length, you can then calculate dB/mm or dB/m or whatever you need. If your simulation gives 1dB for 500µm length, that is 2dB/mm. It's really that simple.
Thanks for your answer. I still have a question looking forward to your reply.
I want to get attenuation loss, not insertion loss,and the attenuation loss may get from re(Gamma) due to γ=a+jB?
so what's the right way to get the result like the picture
Thanks~QQ图片20210602214415.png

To get attentuation (power loss) you can use what Sonnet call the "loss factor"
Loss Factor (dB) = 10.0 * log10( |S11|^2 + |S21|^2 + ... + |SN1|^2 )

Thanks for your answer. I add expression like in the following picture in HFSS. And then the loss/the total length is the right?
Thanks you!
QQ图片20210603194916.png

Yes, that's how I calculate these values. You can double check your equation with a lossy line that is well matched (S11 very small), and a mismatched lossless line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back