Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get bandwidth under -10dB in patch antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmallik

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HFSS Matching

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a basic rectangular patch antenna on HFSS
(this will have poor bandwidth, obviously!!!). I have included the
airbox (radiation boundary), an edge-fed rectangular patch
(metallised, perfect-E) and a ground plane that is also a perfect E.
The patch is designed for 1.5 Ghz and I have given the correct
dimensions, and when I request the Return Loss (i.e. S11) against
frequency, I do not get resonance at 1.5GHz, or anywhere else for
that matter. I was wondering if you could help me use a method to get
a bandwidth under -10dB. A quick response is greatly appreciated.

Please respond to neilmallik@yahoo.co.uk. Thank you in advance.

Neil.

Re: HFSS Matching

Hi,

There are many methods of increasing bandwidth. Everything depends on how much bandwidth you need and what are your restrictions about size, feeding techniques, substrate, etc.

Greets,
Redi.

Hi
How bandwith you need is important,10% 20%.....?I think you must change the patch's dimension or other parameter to make it resonant at 1.5G,and could design matching network to develop bandwith.

Thank

caocao said:
Hi
How bandwith you need is important,10% 20%.....?I think you must change the fix's dimension or other parameter to make it resonant at 1.5G,and could design matching network to develop bandwith.

Thank

Hi,

Only good matching and proper resonant frequency is not enough for broad bandwidth of antennas. To increase the bandwidth you can for instance use thick and low permitivity substrate, change shape of patch etc. From usual rectangular patch you can only get around 2-3 % of bandwidth, if I remember correctly.

Greets,
Redi.

Hi
It is very right matching network is not enough for broad bandwidth,but
I think that a good matching network could bring about 10% impedance BW of a patch.And I have a good example

Thank!
Caocao
[quote="Redi
Hi,

Only good matching and proper resonant frequency is not enough for broad bandwidth of antennas. Greets,
Redi.[/quote]

caocao said:
Hi
It is very right matching network is not enough for broad bandwidth,but
I think that a good matching network could bring about 10% impedance BW of a fix.And I have a good example

Thank!
Caocao

You are right, because it depends on substrate you are using. If you use low perimitivity, thick and even lossy substrate, you can get much wider bandwidth even using normal rectangular patch than when you make antenna on thin and high permitivity substrate.

Greets,
Redi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back