Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate speach on a PIC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizas

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm designing a telemetry system. I need the system reporting full readings via modem and / or , on demmand a sumary by "voice" in a basic telephone set ( the request is sended by a DTMF command).
The voice transmision will be numbers and very few words as "max" "min" "average" etc.

I'll appreciate your suggestions in terms of simplest solutions according with your experience.
The options I am facing are to use a simple voice systetizer IC (?) or by S/W.
PIC actually used is 16F877A.

Thans in advance

You can use simple PCM 8 bit coding with u or A coding or completely without them (prerecorded spech quality for constant low dinamic range speech will be fine quality wihtout compression). Or you can go further to down to compress stored data and use adpcm up to 16 kbit/sec rate (look to atmel application ntoes for imlpementation). But that needs more CPU capacity and this is critical if will be used in small scale mcu. You can reduce further data rate (amount of rom stored speech )down to some 4 - 8 kbit/sec by using linear prediction voice codec (source codes available from corresponding mobile standards), but it requires much greater cpu capacity .

PIC should handle well first 2 of mentioned methods - ADPCM and PCM coding .

Trizas,

take a look at my post here:

best regards

A universe to explore for me.

I'll come back with more questions (no doubt).

Thanks artem & C-Man.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back