Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find the number of elements needed for a linear array ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nami689

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

can i please have help :cry: im doing a project on Linear Array and my specifications are:
Gain = 12 dBi
Frequency = 9.5 GHz
Spacing = wavelength/2
i would like to know if there is a formula to find out the number of elements that i need to use for this linear array (this is a uniform linear array) i have read text books but they are really confusing...so can someone please help me :cry:

Linear Array help

It depends on the elements you're using and so on...

For example if you use patch antenna, each element can be estimated to have anywhere between 5 and 8 dB of gain. So you have a rough estimation, say between 4 (12 - 8) and 7 (12 - 5) dB of gain have to come from the array factor (number of elements).

3 dB is the doubling of the elements, so for example to get 4 dB of gain you'll need 3 elements 10 * log10 (3) = 4.77 dB as an example.

There are also power combiner losses and so on and it's not very easy to estimate the final outcome but it's a start.

Let us know if this helps.

Re: Patch rectangular antenna design

Hello guys,

I need your help to give me some guide on patch antenna design.

I just design a rectangular patch antenna using the standard formula for 5.8 Ghz antenna. the feeding is microstrip line with 50 ohm matching.

But As I see the S11 plot it looks flat and doesn't seems to resonate at 5.8 Ghz.

Do we need to do it as trial and error like changing the length, slot..and so on..

How do we start solving this?

Pls let me know...the available techniques to make it usable for UWB..

Thank you

Re: Linear Array help

thanks for replying DanTheMan

so is it ok if i do 10log(16) = 12.04dB so the number of elements iam going to use is 16 elements?

Also isharan sorry iam also new at this so im not really sure about urs....:|

Hello

Can anyone help in how to start designing an array patch antenna? I'm a newbie and I'm trying to understand antenna design.

Thanks,

ihamieh What simulation software you are using. I can better guide you if i know the simulation software.

Hello Usman,
I'm using the HFSS software to do my antenna design.

ihamieh What simulation software you are using. I can better guide you if i know the simulation software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back