Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to extend the operation of the UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarec

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need longer work UPS sala so I tried to resolve it by adding higher capacity battery and optional cooling but I could not .
Seeking solutions I encountered hack mode batrery UPS but do not know how it works .
Please help

Why don't you add more batteries in parallel? The easiest way to extend the operation time is starting with a larger energy reservoir.

Reactions: zarec

zarec

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That I added battery but it does not solve anything.
UPS continues to operate mas 40 minutes

Hi,

ArticCynda gave the correct solution.

If you are not satisfied with the answer you should give more detailed informations like:
* What type and manufacturer of the UPS
* What load current
* what type/manufacturer voltage and Ah of original battery
* what type/manufacturer voltage and Ah of added battery
* What is the battery voltage just before you disconnect mains?
* What is the battery voltage at the time when the UPS switches OFF?

Klaus

UPS APC ,Back-UPS CS 500
Baterija 4x 7A 12v –SEC
Potrosac 100 wat
Battery on 13,8V
Batery off 12,8 V

Hi,

After power OFF the battery voltage is still 12.8V??
Then maybe the UPS limits the backup-time. Maybe per hardware or per microcontroller (software).

Calculation.
7A --> most probably 7Ah.
12V
= 84Wh per battery,
= 336 Wh total

with an efficiency of 75% (estimated) you should be able to run 2.5h with 100W.

How old are the batteries?
What chemistry?
Are all the same type and age?

Klaus

The specifications that you gave us are still somewhat vague, anyway the answer was already provided above, whatever the data you add to the thread. For a highest autonomy, you need simply add more A.h ( Ampere-hour ) capacity to the battery bank, being it inside if there is enough space available, or externally to the equipment.

However, if you're dealing with a commercial cheap UPS, need to be aware the it is a common practice in that indutry to define the inverter transformer undersized to its nominal output wattage, if the autonomy is not sufficient to heat it significantly. It happens because in general the heating at the core happens at a very small rate. It means that if the relation among the power and core sectional area of transformer do not satisfy: \[{ A}_{e }\]≥\[\sqrt{ P }\], adding more batteries or increasing their A.h capacities would overheat the equipment.

Batery off 12,8 V

Please confirm whether you see this when the battery is idle. Or, does your UPS shut off when battery drops to that voltage?

If the UPS shuts off at 12.8V, then you are not extracting all the usage your battery can supply.

When I have done tests on my inverters, they turned off when the battery drops to 10.5V or so. That is the voltage of a discharged battery. Your inverter should behave the same way. Post #4 brings up this same question, last question in the list.

UPS APC He says a reputable company.
The batteries are of the same company but different age.
Tomorrow I will check again the allegations of voltage but I doubt the software Uppsala.
I think the problem, if the problem in general, in a programmed device autonomy because it excludes the bey obyira as voltage graniccama normal.
Tomorrow I will all the voltage and battery check and say hello.
I thank for the help

UPS APC He says a reputable company.
The batteries are of the same company but different age.

There is no doubt about that. Anyway, I presume that you are aware that the batteries become exhausted after a period of operation, normally 1 to 2 years, depending on the usage frequency, as well temperature for what are subjected.

My guess is that the second set of batteries is either:
-1) old and exhausted
-2) different construction or chemistry which makes for incompatible charging profiles.

I apologize for being so far I have not heard from him.
UPS APC smart 620 I got rid of the way das am the original battery the battery is added 60Aha.
The test showed that UPS has been like this for several hours continuously burdened with 70wati

For APC UPS 500 I didn't find solution, or a way to extend his work.
Greetings

Probably the APC 500 is designed in such a way that it only gives you a designed amount of time, because otherwise the components would burn. This small UPS units are designed like this in order to achieve lower costs. When the unit is being used is really overloaded, and this state can only be maintained during a certain time period. Go for another UPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back