Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to eliminate multiplexers resistance during measuring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenjoy

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microOhm Meter

I need to measure many resistance banks, I will be using a two wire voltmeter and a couple 16to1 multiplexers, 16 because there are 16 resistances/resistors and the output to the testers cable.

Problem is, how to eliminate the multiplexers' resistance, I really need an advise or circuit, not a link for the theory of four wire/kelvin measurment because I know that already.

Re: microOhm Meter

Hello!

Maybe you can tray with small signal reed relays? Only sugestion.

Regards!

No reed relays please, that is why I will be using multiplxers to avoid the cost and maintenance of the relays.

Hi,

Can please put other inputs, btw, does an Ohm meter supplies the load undertest a constant current then read the voltage drop?

I will post later the schematic I have in mind.

Hello!

But with multipklexers you can have problems with chnage of resistance
because of temperature change. What do you think? I now that test equipment manufacturers use usualy reed relays. And life time of this reeed relays are quite long. Which MUX do you have in mind?

Regards!

I am planning to use the MUX's of Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor. They are analog MUxs. Yes I know Test Equioments uses reed relays, but the problem is the cost and maintenance, I used to work as a Test engineer in Maxim semiconductor, and have background and exposure in test equipments, this project I am doing now is also for them, somewhat a donation.

The best way is to measure voltage (connected through musltiplexer ) on resistor connected to current source (also connected through multiplexer)
As internal voltmeter resistance is much high than any miltiplexer connection , accuracy will be quite good .
Let say 10MOhm/100 Ohm =10e5. It is much more than resolution of your multimeter (if it is not professional one ).

Or :
Put one shortcircuit on each multiplexor , and measure multiplexor resistance before making other measures . Then sub got value from resistors
measure . (Take care of current/ resistance dependance in miltiplexors ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back