Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to efficiently Sample a wideband signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedarash

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I intend to sample and store some waveforms. I get the FFT of the waveform and it looks like the attached graph. My problem is that I can not determine the Nyquist frequency on a graph like this, since its a wide band signal.

FFT_Full.jpg

Kindly please bear in mind that I have to find a balance between accuracy and storage cost. I would like to know how people normally sample such signals and how much accuracy cost is normally affordable. Any clue to follow up or any guidance backed up by theory or a cite-able practice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Arash

I think you're doing this backwards. YOU pick the Nyquist frequency by virtue of your sample rate, the signal doesn't pick it. What is the upper frequency of your 'wideband' signal? Is it infinite? You need to determine the upper limit of your frequency of interest, and then sample at least twice as fast as that. And you'll also probably need to filter your input signal if you can't guarantee that its bandwidth will be less than 1/2 the sampling frequency.

Barry

I guess, you should start to think about the nature of the signal and which information shall be preserved in signal acquisition. As simple as trivial, if you see spectral components up to fs/2, the signal bandwidth (is it actually a signal?) obviously exceeds the Nyquist frequency. You should know if it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back