Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to drive more than one load(lvcmos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjuntang

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As title, I want to know how to drive 2 lvcmos load.
I think that there is no issue about the fanout, because a lvttl logic can drive multiple loads.
What I want to know is about the trace termination.
As I know, a parallel resistor termination is used for driving multiple load. But I don't want to use parallel resistor.
If is it good way that I use buffer chip without termination resistor instead of using parallel resistor?
Please let me know the solution about this issue.

You're right, no issue about fanout with CMOS, it's not like TTL. But do not abuse, CMOS cannot drive few hundreds of inputs...
In your case 2 input is easy. Don't forget to put decoupling capacitors on your IC's supply... remember that the CMOS input is a cap, that is short at high frequency and open circuit in DC. Requires high current during the transition and very low current to keep the state.

What is the frequency of your signal? or more important what is the rise time of the signal?
Is it a bidirectionnal signal?
A good pratice is to put a serial resistor near to the driver... if you have two receivers, just put 2 resistors near to the driver, one for each receiver, in this case you will have two track on PCB, one for each receiver, connected together on the driver. Draw the PCB track at 50R characteristic impedance.
The value of the resistor should be around 20-30ohms... the total of the driver's output impedance and the serial resistor should be 50R. The problem is that the impedance is not the same for low level (0) and for High level (1)... so use a 22R... and forget the rest.

If the rise time of the signal is slow, slower than the signal travel time from driver to destination, then just connect the output of the driver with both inputs...

hope this help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back