Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to do your own ICD 2 Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

icd2project

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ICD 2 Clone Project

Hello,
since there are many people beeing very interested in the ICD2 and especially building one at home I would like to help you realizing this dream.

Here are the facts I gathered:
1) The Firmware is public available (from Microchip MPLAB)
2) The ICD2 has an USB and an RS232 Interface

...what always lacked was an picture of the ICD2 and now I got 2 (front&back) really nice ones from another guy in the net (I will not publish his name, until I asked him before).

So I analyzed the pictures (made an overlay from the back, so I can traceback all wires easily) and tried to identifiy the parts and draw a schematics.
And here I got stuck, I can not really identify all parts (some ics are misssing and the capacitors have no values).

My further plans are, to draw a new pcb beeing as near to the original as possible despite I will remove the usb part and design a single layer pcb.
In my opinion it would be the best to stay in smd, but using a socket for the PIC, so we can interchange him.

I will now upload one picture of the ICD2 to the MCUatm(new directory icd2project), together with my partlist and hope you can help me to identify the last ics.
Later on I hope to identify the capacitor values and will publish my results in here.

regards

Re: ICD 2 Clone Project

Hi, new images and explanation of commands

icd2project said:
Here are the facts I gathered:
1) The Firmware is public available (from Microchip MPLAB)

Is a full firmware available? there are different firmware parts
for different family ranges but these are not a 'Complete Firmware'
they lack the bootloader etc...

I'm can't find Schematic from CIRCAD. :(

Good evening,

everybody who would like to participate in realizing our vision of an self-made ICD2 please come to icd2.de.vu.

There somebody from the hi-tech started an Forum concentrating on that topic...

regards

I think that ICD2 "operating system" (acording to microchip denomination) is availabe, but the part of the firmware normally resident on ICD2 is not free. I explain: OS is only something similar to a driver and is downlodable to interconnect several device families, the rest is not free (interface with IDE).

Its true that a part of the ICD2 firmware is hidden in ICD2 and is not freely available. But still there is someone who has the firmware and schematics:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Anyhow maybe someone can organise a group of people that are willing to pay for a software and schematic and if 20 people are oganized the price for each will be reduced.

This is nasty:

on h__p://pictools.port5.com/prices.htm :

"3. Copy of above files 2000EUR. Included one finished and tested device and support for you until you make your own model. For this price I'll stop selling these information's to other interested users, and I won't sell any completed device to others. Also at your request I'll redesign PCB so it fits your needs (type of used components, dimension of the box you are planning to use, type of used connectors, number of used layers...). I have not sold schematic nor HEX file to anyone yet!"

for 2000EUR i'll sell my mother and an etrusk vase to... :?

Other things:

Do we really need the USB interface? I mean can it work
without the USB chip?
Is there any advantage of the USB if why it should be used
instead of RS232?
(just asking)

Zed

Apsolutely you can use it only with RS232. I have original ICD2 and i'm using it on RS232 when i need galvanic disconnection between target device and PC, and it works fine. I'm running it through galvanic disconnection device on 57600 and i can not see big difference when it is connected to USB!

2000EUR is really too much but for 700 you can also get SCH+HEX!

Regards,
Sime

The original ICD2 costs about 180EUR here so it
won't worth it, since it has no USB for 700EUR...

anyway forget the money,
let's concentrate on how can we
make it from 0.0 EUR :)

Zed

Hi all
I never used a USB ICD but I think that it will be much faster downloading big projects. Am I wrong?

j

It is faster but not much. About 1.3x(RS232 download time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back