Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to do well in Engineering (ECE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarjumaharaj

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been constantly working for everyday and despite that I'm doing very poorly in my exams. My professors pour us with assignments up till our head burst's and on top of that we have exams all the time. And I can do them and I can do them flawlessly but I need time and that which is so limited in engineering. Also , while in high school there may have been few subjects which if you studied a bit you would easily find easy. However, in engineering all subjects requires you to go to the depth think and think the hows and whys. And there is so much pressure from all direction that you often tend to panic and the limited amount of time you have you waste thinking about things that may go wrong.

I want you guys to address this question to me. How do you do well in engineering. How do you cope up with the stress of not doing well or cope up with the stress and do well. Especially for a person who learns slowly, for those ordinary people who take their time to analyze and think and find the answer.

I'm sure there are people who are pure genius who can solve a math question in a matter of seconds, who can see a algorithm and just solve any new problem with ease. But this is for those who can't do that. And I know there are plenty like me. So please let's collectively find the answer, let's find a method that fits us.

I would be grateful if everyone shared their experience. Would help a lot of people like me!!

P.S. I'm not that smart but i happen to study in one of the elite colleges in india so all my fellow classmates are super smart. So I just have to find a way to cope up and compete.

Last edited:

At the risk of oversimplifying matters: practice, practice, practice. But try to find a way to enjoy practicing, ye olde brain tends to work better when you enjoy it. ;)

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself". --Roosevelt

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." --Pogo

If you spend too much time worrying about failing, you'll fail. All I can advise is, do your best. Keep in mind that exams are not engineering, any more than an exam is literature.

Maybe your classmates are 'super smart', but they are not you. I am 'not that smart' either, but I've managed to make a career out of engineering. I'm not going to win a Nobel prize, but I've had a good life.

what would you consider better choice: practice or understanding theory? I mean there is always so much to study and i don't find time to do everything.. what do you suggest. Be efficient at reading the whole theory and try practicing or just look at problems and then skim the theory required?

How about understanding the theory and then practice? Or muck about (aka practice) for a while until you think you roughly understand it and then brush up on your theory. Or a mix of the above. Depends on your learning style. Personally I can tolerate a fair amount of theory before my brain goes bllllllhhhh, and then it's time to put that theory to work. Some people I know would rather start doing pretty soon and then try to learn required theory as they go. As said, depends on your learning style.

The better choice is whatever works for you.

You can study theory until your hair falls out, but until you actually BUILD something and make it work, you don't know anything.

I don't know anything about the university system in India but here are some suggestions.

1. Make sure you have successfully completed the prerequisites for a class. For example, make sure you have the necessary math. This may take extra time for your education but it is very stressful if you are not prepared. If you start a class and realize you are not prepared, drop the class! Better yet, find out what is required before starting the class.
2. Be realistic about the number of classes taken at the same time. Mix the harder classes with the easier ones. Take a smaller load. Again, taking a smaller load make take extra time for your education. Extra time is OK!
3. Make sure you do lots and lots of problems. The only way to prepare for an exam is to complete many problems. Reading and studying is not enough. You will become more efficient as you do more problems. This efficiency will pay off during exams.
4. Don't worry about other people. You are investing in your future. Not theirs. Find out what you like to do and keep working hard.

I know what you mean Barry - how many times have I deluded myself into believing I understand the theory behind something, only to be proven wrong by trying to apply it?!
As the saying goes: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is" :)

sarjumaharaj, I agree entirely with my earlier co-conspirators' remarks... MrFlibbles comments about mucking about and brushing up on the theory as needs be is the formula that works for me. I have boxes of broken projects/half baked ideas/experimental pursuits that failed in their intended purpose, but taught me heaps nonetheless. The theory is *so* much easier to learn (and truly understand) when you believe it has a purpose and you WANT to understand it because it'll let you do something you otherwise can't.

The trick (that most of my students report works for them too) is to find something that motivates *you* to tinker and give you some practical reason/conceptual framework to attach the theory on to. Interestingly, practical skills & theory gained in seemingly disparate areas often aids understanding in other areas, so don't feel you are ever wasting your time (unless you blow off studying for your final maths exam to finish your guitar amplifier like a friend of mine did ;)

If you're interested in cars, go and try to build an ignition system controller (and learn what you need as you go). Audio? Effects pedals/amplifiers. Astronomy? A radio telescope! Anything will a) motivate you, b) provide intuition/insight into the theory, and [importantly] c) give you a substantial advantage over your peers in the eyes of a potential employer. A person who tinkers in their own time demonstrates independent learning and a commitment to a task that extends beyond the close of business.

So go pursue/discover your passion and study/life becomes more fun!

But how good was his guitar amp? That sounds like something I would have done. At one point I was trying to build a radio transmitter out of old TV tubes and nearly electrocuted myself.

As I had also gone through this type of time, I can understand your situation.
I only want to suggest not to pity urself, work hard - dont sleep - push ur limits of body and brain.
This will go on for not more than 1-2 years, and then the kind of life u will get, by these efforts, is where u will not regret anything.

Best of luck.
Study hard.

As I had also gone through this type of time, I can understand your situation.
I only want to suggest not to pity urself, work hard - dont sleep - push ur limits of body and brain.
This will go on for not more than 1-2 years, and then the kind of life u will get, by these efforts, is where u will not regret anything.

Best of luck.
Study hard.

Terrible advice.

If you don't sleep your body will break down. You need to refresh yourself from time to time. You need balance, otherwise you will end up as a boring, one-dimensional engineer that nobody wants to talk to at parties and you'll end up marrying the ugly one.

Everyone is different. For me, the key was to mess around, skip lectures and waste time on girls and other hobbies. That way, I felt so guilty by the time exams/deadlines arrived that I could work with unbreakable focus until the job was done. It was risky, but highly effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back