Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to develope a device driver for windowXP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea is very simple first, create a driver that connect to my application in window and I can control LED on and off on board via USB...

The simplest solution to implementing a USB interface from the PIC18F4550 to a PC would be to implement a CDC class device in serial emulation mode.

Utilizing this technique requires no driver development and utilizes existing drivers found in most operating systems.

In the case of a Windows OS you simply modify the INF file to load the correct existing driver.

The following Microchip appnote details the implementation of a CDC class device in serial emulation mode using PIC devices, although most microcontrollers which offer full CDC class compliance can be used in similar designs.

An advantage of this method is the PC application will see
the USB connection as an RS-232 COM connection and
thus, require no changes to the existing software.
Another advantage is this method utilizes a Windows®
driver included with Microsoft® Windows® 98SE and
later versions, making driver development unnecessary.

AN956 Migrating Applications to USB from RS-232 UART with Minimal Impact on PC Software

AN1164 USB CDC Class on an Embedded Device

BigDog

I do (my job consists for 50% in writing drivers, the rest being applications and
hardware). When I start using a new kind of driver I have never used before (for
example when I started with USB), I first find a reference design. It is available
from all the MCU makers, I guess. They want to sell MCUs, and helping developers
will yield more MCUs sold, so they usually help you. You should go to your favourite
processor maker's site and try to get sample code.

Now concerning the link you posted. You have 6 analog inputs. Do you want to use
them all? In this case, I guess the bottleneck will be your chip.

Dora.

Thanks for replying Dora,

Yes it's with 6 input, but if I use for example AT89S52 and connect to windows kernel via device driver, may be via USART ?
or can you show me very simple think on how to connect microcontroller into window system ?

Thanks...

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 ----------

The simplest solution to implementing a USB interface from the PIC18F4550 to a PC would be to implement a CDC class device in serial emulation mode.

Utilizing this technique requires no driver development and utilizes existing drivers found in most operating systems.

In the case of a Windows OS you simply modify the INF file to load the correct existing driver.

The following Microchip appnote details the implementation of a CDC class device in serial emulation mode using PIC devices, although most microcontrollers which offer full CDC class compliance can be used in similar designs.

AN956 Migrating Applications to USB from RS-232 UART with Minimal Impact on PC Software

BigDog
Thank you very much for the info, I'm gonna learn it,
do you have idea with MCS51 or AT89S52 ?

Thanks

89S52 dont have adc inside, you must use external adc chip.

That's ok for the first time, because I need to understand to create device driver on window xp first, anyone has an idea ?
easier for me since I have the chip.

BigDog
I read this on Window Driver Kit documentation, am I in the right way ?
HID.jpg

Hello!

Yes it's with 6 input, but if I use for example AT89S52 and connect to windows kernel via device driver, may be via USART ?
or can you show me very simple think on how to connect microcontroller into window system ?

I think you should first to make minimal efforts to describe your application as accurately as possible
This kind of discussion leads to nowhere. We have to ask you everything, and you reply only little by little.
It's not a guessing game.
If I spend time to provide you a detailed reply, at the moment there is a high chance that you will tell me
that it cannot work because you need more bandwidth, etc...
You don't know the specs exactly? Then I can't help you. Decide your specs first, do some drawings, write some
code, but don't come here with empty hands.

Dora.

I read this on Window Driver Kit documentation, am I in the right way ?
View attachment 73754

The documentation you have pointed refers to an HID class USB driver, the example I presented is for a CDC Class USB in Serial Emulation Mode.

Is your primary goal of the project to write a Windows Driver or interface a MCU to a PC?

The AT89S52 only offers a serial interface which utilizes the Windows Serial Port Driver at the low level. Unless of course, you want to blow the dust of the books which cover parallel interfaces and implement some sort of parallel port interface to the AT89S52.

Another option would be to use a USB to UART bridge chip like the FTDI or SiLabs devices.

BigDog

See this project, you should get something from that :
I will try to develope from this project....

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

The documentation you have pointed refers to an HID class USB driver, the example I presented is for a CDC Class USB in Serial Emulation Mode.

Is your primary goal of the project to write a Windows Driver or interface a MCU to a PC?

The AT89S52 only offers a serial interface which utilizes the Windows Serial Port Driver at the low level. Unless of course, you want to blow the dust of the books which cover parallel interfaces and implement some sort of parallel port interface to the AT89S52.

Another option would be to use a USB to UART bridge chip like the FTDI or SiLabs devices.

BigDog

I did USB to UART bridge, it's COM to USB converter right....thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back