Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to desolder and solder a QFN 24 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKAI BUKAI

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I wanted to make a reballing of my laptop's motherboard (for its GPU)..
Since I saw a video explainig to put some liquid flux underneath the chip, I did it this way..

But just after reballing I powered the board without cleaning it..
It worked some moment (about 10 sec)..
But the liquid flux spreaded on the board seemed to cause some shortcircuit...

After that the board did not power up again..

After some investigation I found that when I plug the DC connector a tiny chip (QFN 24) becomes very hot..
I ordered a new one which is a TI TPS51123 (Dual-Synchronous, Step-Down Controller with Out-of-Audio Operation and 100-mA LDOs for Notebook System Power)...

Now I wonder how can I desolder the old one and solder the new one "by hand"...
I don't have a decent iron so I plan to buy a good one and for this purpose it could be a 2 in 1 station (iron + hot air)...

I already saw some videos explaining how to solder by hand (like this one but in my case the QFN do not have "exiting pins".. I mean that their pin do not exceed the packaging...

Do you think that it is possible to solder a QFN 24 by hand ?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english..

You can use a liquid flux and hot air combination for desoldering.
Also after the work you can clean the area where more liquid flux is there. You can use Isopropyle alcohol for cleaning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back