Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design Microwave Filters , Power Dividers or Couplers Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakar133

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I am new to microwave engineering. I want to design microwave filter or power divider or coupler in a same course(Microwave Engineering).
I need guidance from experienced members of the forum regarding design. I have some questions. Can someone guide me about these Questions.

1) What material should I study in advance for designing these devices ?
2) Which device should i choose for project(filter, divider etc.) ?
3) what are the softwares with tutorials for designing these devices. ? and which one is easy to learn in a short period of time ?
if you people know some nice material kindly share it with me ?

thanks

re: How to design Microwave Filters , Power Dividers or Couplers Design

1) I would recommend "Microwave Engineering" by David Pozar
2)Try a filter it is a two port network and contains allthe basic know how
3) for a software there is variety "Genesys" is easy to use, but all of them could help at this level.

Good Luck

Even i suggest to go with pozar for design basics and there are lot of books on wireless communication which deal with these design aspects.

Try working with ADS, its a good software with examples..!!

I want to design wilkinson power divider at 1 Ghz or 1.5 Ghz. I do not understand the purpose of frequency in design.Also, what should be the typical values of insertion loss, return loss and isolation that are attainable at these frequencies ?

Frequency is what you need to evaluate your design parameters like the length and width of the microstrip traces. for any design, Insertion loss: as minimum as possible. for a power divider (2 way) as close to -3dB as possible, for this -3dB is ur power division.
Return loss: as high in negative side as possible. (-10 dB is taken to be fine, but better atleast -15 dB)
Isolation: as high as possible too, as return loss is..!!

Regards

In Divid Pozar's book, he has given an example for equal split Wilkinson Power. In the graph S11and S23 seems to be below than -40db.where as S12 is about -3.5db. Can I get the same graph in ADS for these parameters at 1.5GHz.? I want to fabricate the design after simulation. Please help.
Frequency is what you need to evaluate your design parameters like the length and width of the microstrip traces. for any design, Insertion loss: as minimum as possible. for a power divider (2 way) as close to -3dB as possible, for this -3dB is ur power division.
Return loss: as high in negative side as possible. (-10 dB is taken to be fine, but better atleast -15 dB)
Isolation: as high as possible too, as return loss is..!!

Regards

Re: How to design Microwave Filters , Power Dividers or Couplers Design

What pozar shows are matlab simulated results as of my knowledge. I plotted S params for that and a hybrid coupler and some other designs in matlab and yes you get 40 dB and more, coz its theoretical. Practically it depends on how well the design is fabricated or simulated. This is the reason sometime u need to tune the design to give required performance..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back