Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design an AGC system for a RF device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brmadhukar

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AGC control

Hi,
How do I design an AGC system for a RF device. I have the MAXIM RF Chip which gives analog output. I have quantized tha sampled signal and now want provide a feed back. If I use just two bit quantization, how do I provide AGC.

As an example, I can think of the following:
With two quantization levels, I assume that the signal DC level is 0, and that the binary quantized numbers are
00 = signal positive, level OK
01 = signal positive, level too high
11 = signal negative, level OK
10 = signal negative, level too high

So AGC would be:
a. Appearance if either 01 or 10 means reduce the gain
b. If there is no toggling between 00 and 11, increase the gain

Now you can design a digital machine that detects these conditions, and feeds a DAC (two bits should suffice). Feed the DAC through a narrow enough LPF, and your loop should be fine.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.

If I have to maintain the mag bit high for 33% of the time might be I have to fees the AGC through a proper LPF or should the digital logic be somehow tweaked for this.

time constants

The feedback system should have time constants so that it does not oscilllate. One method is to use a fast time constant in reducing the gain and a slow one in raising it. This works for most cases. It all depends upon the environment. If you are in a highly mulltipath situation where the signal level canges rapidly, the time constants should be made short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back