Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to decide the gain of an antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni1122

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how you decide that what will be the gain of the antenna you wish to design?does it depend on design type of antenna or application?

The decision will be mainly based on the requirements of your link budget ...

Transmitter power out > Feedline loss > TX Antenna gain > Path Loss > RX Antenna gain > Receiver front end gain

Your link budget will ensure that when all those figures are taken into account that it will also take into account things like additional path losses due to extreme weather etc so that you still end up with a required minimum SNR ( CNR) and BER.

There's no point building/using excessive gain antennas if they are not needed, that's just a waste of resources/money

The frequency you are going to use will have the most influence on what type of antenna will be used

cheers
Dave

ok what is the ideal gain?or i should rather say normal gain for an antenna being used in a rectenna

ok thank you very much
by the way do you know about using ADS?
i am really new to this stuff.i have to design this rectenna in ADS but i cant do a single step i have its picture i have to just copy it but still i cant:-(
can you help me?

hi ,

As u said application tells us what kind of antenna and hw much gain is required,

I was previously involved in the design of a RADAR system where we needed a 42 dB gain antenna to transmit to a range

of 100KM. so gain of antenna depends on the Range requirement and your SNR requirements..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back