Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to covert logic levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbla

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to covert logic levels from a system operating on 3.3V to levels for a system working on 5V.

Is there a single IC for level translations?

Thanks in advance.

bimbla.

Open drain or open collector with external resistors.

Discussion of this **broken link removed**

Yes Level translators are available from different vendors. Alternately, you can check for the 3.3V devices' datasheet for 5V tolerance and 5V compliance.

see Maxim catalogue

Hi,

You can use transceiver with level shifter. You can use IDT74ALVC164245.

If you need more details, contact me.

Regards,

N.Muralidhara

CRL-BEL

You can usually send 3.3 volt signals to a 5 volt system because a hi on the 5v system is around 2.8 volts depending on what type of device it is. Sending data from 5 v system to 3.3 v system requires some care or else you can damage 3.3v device. One way to do it is to use a simple voltage divider with fairly low value resistors eg 1K & 2 k. This method might not be suitable in all instances. I have successfully used it to interface an MMC card to a 5v microcontroller

Hi,

You can use IDT74ALVC164245 to convert 5 to 3.3V and 3.3V to 5V. It works in both directions.

If you need more details, contact me.

Regards,

N.Muralidhara
CRL-BEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back