Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to construct a high gain antenna for 160MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak007

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

i have purchased a WOUXUN transceiver134 to 174 MHz. but, the seller gave me a 400 to 470 MHz high gain antenna. will there be any change in performance? can i make my own antenna using a coat hanger cut to the correct 1/4 length? then how can i connect to the SMA FEMALE CONNECTOR.i mean how can i connect a whip to SMA CONNECTOR. please give me some tips.

corner reflector

Everyone knows that a coat hanger is an excellent antenna. Make sure that it is not made from wood.

Your high gain antenna is for a different band. I would not expect it to work well in a band different from the intended band. Do you think differently?

It sounds like you want to make a monopole. That implies a groundplane, the bigger the better. The flange on the sma connects to the groundplane and the center contact connects to the coat hanger.

deepak007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: ANTENNA HELP

My best results have been with plastic coathangers drilled out 1/4 wave and a metal rod glued to the interior, the base of the coathanger can be done like-wise to use as a tuning stub. coax may be soldered to the the first rod and the shield can be glued to the outside, be sure to use epoxy, wood glue as a well as a wood coathanger won't work.

SiGiNT

Seriously, just in case you are serious, get a ham 2 metre rubber-ducky antenna and a right angle BNC to SMA adaptor.

SiGiNT

The really important feature is the color of the coat hanger. I have one survey that says that pink is the only color to use.

thank you very much gentlemen for your suggestions! i want to use the transceiver on 160MHz. i have purchased a brass brazing rod from a welding supply store.i have cut it to 18 inches. and i am using a rolled up copper sheet as a ground plane. can anybody give any idea to construct a high gain antenna for 160MHz? for ex. coil loaded or any other type.

thanku once again.

You might consider a corner reflector as an easy way to increase the gain. Kraus is a good source for guidance.

You do not say what you consider to be "high" gain.

deepak007 said:
thank you very much gentlemen for your suggestions! i want to use the transceiver on 160MHz. i have purchased a brass brazing rod from a welding supply store.i have cut it to 18 inches. and i am using a rolled up copper sheet as a ground plane. can anybody give any idea to construct a high gain antenna for 160MHz? for ex. coil loaded or any other type.

thanku once again.
You will not get "high gain" by using this 18 inch rod! This might be put into work as a 1/4 wave radiator, and if you mount it on a metal surface you end up with roughly 0 dB gain!

The coil will only add losses to the antenna so that is no good!

A 5/8 lambda radiator will offer some gain, but to get "high-gain" you really need something bigger, and probably a rotator as the antenna will be directive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back