Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to communicate between 8051 microcontroller and USB???

Status
Not open for further replies.

avl

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to communicate 8051 with usb

I'm now doing a project, I'm using visual basic 6.0 to communicate with the USB device. My problem now is,

Do I need an ActiveX control driver to start interfacing with the USB device??

What is the driver?

In my opinion, the title of the post and the content of the post are not matched. :)

I try to understand your question. You build a 8051 based device. The device has USB interface. You wish to write a VB program to communicate with the device via USB. Am I right?

Re: how to communicate between 8051 microcontroller and USB?

yes, you're right.

So what should I do?

I needed a driver to start interfacing to the USB device right?

Yes ... You need a driver.

Which USB IC do you use? Usually manufacturers of the USB peripheral IC provides the driver in their websites.

Have you considered USB chip from FTDI?

I'm using the Intel(r) 823801BA/BAM USB Univaersal Host Controller.

I'm not sure whether this is the one you ask for.

also you can use HID class to communicate with usb device without a driver.
checkout this link for more info

**broken link removed**

avl said:
I'm using the Intel(r) 823801BA/BAM USB Univaersal Host Controller.

I'm not sure whether this is the one you ask for.

:) nicleo asked about another side of USB cable. Which USB controller do you use together with your 8051 uC? Is it embedded USB, like on C8051F321? Or external like FT245 or one from Cypress?

I guess it would be better if you can provide us with your schematic or at least the full title of ICs on your board, otherwise it will be long play in guess.

I think I'm using an embedded USB, my USB port is embeded on the motherboard....

To have usb communication, you need a usb device and a usb host. Most motherboards have built-in usb host. What we are asking is your usb device. An 8051 alone cannot serve as a usb device. You need a separate usb device controller.

checkmate said:
An 8051 alone cannot serve as a usb device. You need a separate usb device controller.

Actually, it can. For example, AT89C5131 from Atmel, C8051C321 from SiLabs, also some USB controllers from Cypress have 8051 architecture, so they can be considered as 8051 with USB on-chip. Anyway, looks like avl doesn't understand our questions.

avl, give us schematic of your 8051 board, or at least the full name of all components on your 8051 board! It is impossible to help you without this info.

Ace-X said:
checkmate said:
An 8051 alone cannot serve as a usb device. You need a separate usb device controller.

Actually, it can. For example, AT89C5131 from Atmel, C8051C321 from SiLabs, also some USB controllers from Cypress have 8051 architecture, so they can be considered as 8051 with USB on-chip. Anyway, looks like avl doesn't understand our questions.

avl, give us schematic of your 8051 board, or at least the full name of all components on your 8051 board! It is impossible to help you without this info.
Those are simply 8051 variants with additional on-chip usb controllers. The only exception I've seen was the amazing IgorPlug.

can teach me how to check for the schematic or full name of all components on my 8051 board?

Those are simply 8051 variants with additional on-chip usb controllers.

Those on-chip usb controllers are integrated, so we should consider them as a feature of particular 8051 variants. Like on-chip UART, SPI, 1-Wire etc.

avl said:
can teach me how to check for the schematic or full name of all components on my 8051 board?

Are you joking with us? :) You can send photo in good resolution of your 8051 board - I guess it would be the best way.

I change to a intel pentium 4 motherboard to control USB. What is the driver that I need to interface with the USB device? I'm running on window xp.

USB is unlike the serial port. It has many drivers depending on how your device firmware is written. Most of the time, a custom driver is required. That's the reason why we need details of your usb device, as well as the way the firmware was written. In particular, we need to know if the device firmware was written to be compliant to any of the device classes. We cant give you an answer until you provide these details.

This is the files of the USB device that needed to work. I have zip it together, it is a Tunable Fiber Bragg Grating Device for filtering out specific wavelength. But it is in C++ programming... I need to program in visual basic, but without the compatiable driver for visual basic, I can do nothing.... please help me to solve it.... sorry for troubling so long......

Intel(r) 823801BA/BAM USB Univaersal Host Controller. that you mentioned is on you mother board

no matter if you change the mother board to p4 it is more important to know what type of USB device are you trying to connect to apart from the USB port that is on you machine is this 8051 variant a storage device or controlling device have you designed this board or bought it , if you have bought it the manufacturers would have the driver else you will need to write the driver by you self

are you using linux or windows ?
I may be able to help you reply to me

I'm using window xp..... but I cannot attach the files that is provided with the USB device..... How should I do to attach it for you?

You can use the 8051 UART and the USB-UART Bridge CP2102 from Silicon Laboratories.

Regards,

avl said:
This is the files of the USB device that needed to work. I have zip it together, it is a Tunable Fiber Bragg Grating Device for filtering out specific wavelength. But it is in C++ programming... I need to program in visual basic, but without the compatiable driver for visual basic, I can do nothing.... please help me to solve it.... sorry for troubling so long......
There is no such thing as a "compatible driver for visual basic". A driver usually consists of an inf file and a sys file. The inf file contains information that loads the driver contained in the sys file into the device tree, similar to a driver installation file.

Most probably, these files would have to be provided for your particular device, and may contain device-specific codes. You'll have to consult your device documentation on this.

Applications would have to use DeviceIO methods to access the driver. Refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devio/base/device_i_o.asp. It's basically a system dll interface, and therefore independent of whether you use VB or C++.

I don't use VB, so I do not know how it accesses dll interfaces. But if you use .NET, you can refer to **broken link removed**.

All these are assuming that your usb device uses a custom driver. If it uses a specific device class, such as HID, or if uses those serial-to-usb convertors, then the interface would be different. As what I'm always trying to say, we cant help much unless you provide more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back