Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose right battery for robotic application

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerskm

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am designing a robotic vehicle.it consists of

I connected 2 dc geared motor of 12 v 600 MA.its torque is 1kg/cm.

one motor driver 5v 300 MA

sensor of 24v 1A.

i found lead acid batteries in market of spec 12v 7ah.but due to lower torque i am not able to use in my application .

please guide me to choose correct battery for the mentioned application.

I don't understand your question (and, apparently, neither do 61 other viewers). What do you mean "due to lower torque I am not able to use"? I also don't understand what kind of 'sensor' would draw 24 watts? That's more way power than your motors! Not a very efficient robot.

Basically, you need to restate your question. And how are you running your 24 volt sensor off a 12 V battery? What battery life do you require? Basically , you need a battery that can supply the required continuous current with an A-Hr spec that meets your battery life requirement.

sorry for the inconvenience.

first let me list all the electrical specifications of components in my robotic vehicle

sensor is pgv sensor-24v 1A
motor-500 rpm ,1kg/cm torque,12v 600 ma(2 quantites)
raspberry pi board-5v 1.3 ma

So I think I should need 24v 7ampere per hour battery for my whole robotic vehicle.If I am using lead acid battery of 12v 7 ampere per hour of 2 quantities it will suit my application,but the problem is due to the bulk size of lead acid battteries i cant use in my robotic vehicle as the motor torque of the wheels are low.

Do there is any alternate battery for lead acid with same specification.I need to run the robotic vehicle minimum 1 hour with out any drop in voltage.

Thanks in advance.

You may find the size of lead-acid batteries you need in a motorcycle/ marine/ lawnmower shop.

Although the math suggests 7 Amp-Hrs is a suitable battery size, expect to need a lot more.

You do not necessarily need such large batteries as in an automobile.

You may find the size of lead-acid batteries you need in a motorcycle/ marine/ lawnmower shop.

Although the math suggests 7 Amp-Hrs is a suitable battery size, expect to need a lot more.

You do not necessarily need such large batteries as in an automobile.

Why a "lot more"? It's already 300% over the requirement. The requirement is 2.2 A-Hr, the battery voltage is not going to drop too much with only 30% drain.

I think you also have to consider how long you need the vehicle running (or how far). Plus, you say your motors can't carry 7Ah lead acid batteries (which i think are quite small). If your motor can't carry your power source, you might be using the wrong motors for your application.

Aside from the motors, your sensor's requirements suggest you need a pretty big battery (which also means you need big/powerful motors to carry those). Maybe instead of looking for batteries you should look for different motors.

Why a "lot more"? It's already 300% over the requirement. The requirement is 2.2 A-Hr, the battery voltage is not going to drop too much with only 30% drain.

Naturally I could not know for certain. It's just that it often turns out that once we get a thing working, then we start to want more power, more speed, more add-ons, more running time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back