Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to Choose a Boost-Buck Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creighton

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Right now I'm trying to design a hybrid charge controller for wind and solar energy and I'm going to need about 4 DC-DC charge controllers to complete my design. However, I have very little experience with power electronics and I don't know where to start looking for them. I need to find a DC/DC Buck-Boost converter that can take an input range from 1-15V and can handle around 30W of power. I also need to be able to control it externally with a microcontroller using PWM signals so that I can control the output voltage in real time. Can anybody direct me towards a seller of a something like this? I'd also appreciate if someone could send me a link that explains how to control a buck-boost converter with PWM. I've been looking into a lot of research articles but I don't really understand how it would work. Thanks for the help.

I've another question. Are there DC/DC Converters that are in general made for external control form a microcontroller? Or are most manufactured ones made into ICs?

My query is similar to your's?....did u get any such ic which could be controlled externally from PWM...? and also boost converter for 40-24 volt input with 24 volt output.

Right now I'm trying to design a hybrid charge controller for wind and solar energy and I'm going to need about 4 DC-DC charge controllers to complete my design. However, I have very little experience with power electronics and I don't know where to start looking for them. I need to find a DC/DC Buck-Boost converter that can take an input range from 1-15V and can handle around 30W of power. I also need to be able to control it externally with a microcontroller using PWM signals so that I can control the output voltage in real time. Can anybody direct me towards a seller of a something like this? I'd also appreciate if someone could send me a link that explains how to control a buck-boost converter with PWM. I've been looking into a lot of research articles but I don't really understand how it would work. Thanks for the help.

Why don't you make your own buck-boost converter? Then, you can control it with the microcontroller. If the PWM is generated by the micro, you can control output voltage in the software. If you use a PWM chip, you can control the output voltage by using feedback that is controlled by the microcontroller.

You could use a buck-boost converter to step up/down to 5V. You would need very little current for the micro. Then, you can generate as much current as you need from the buck-boost stage controlled by the micro.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

I've another question. Are there DC/DC Converters that are in general made for external control form a microcontroller? Or are most manufactured ones made into ICs?

Many/most PWM ICs used for such converters have a feedback input or an error amplifier. You can control these with the microcontroller to control the output voltage.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

This is also a very nice chip for your use:

LTC3115-1: LTC3115-1 - 40V, 2A Synchronous Buck-Boost DC/DC Converter - Linear Technology

You can control the feedback via a microcontroller.

But it's input is from 2.7V.

Thank you for the suggestion. Here's a more accurate description of my problem. I'm working on an undergraduate design project which is to design a hybrid power management system. I need to use a few DC/DC converters to convert the power from an 1.8V 16A solar panel array up to about 14V in order to charge a 12V 9AH Lead Acid Battery. I need to be able to control the DC-DC output voltage because if I'm going to charge the battery efficiently I'm going to need to be able to actively adapt the voltage and current to meet the battery's demands. I want to use a pre-made converter because I only have 6 weeks left to finish the project and I'm afraid I'll run out of time. I'd be happy to use the the converter from Linear but I don't know a single thing about control theory - I haven't taken that course yet. Could you explain how that's done or provide a link to an article/tutorial on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back