Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check COM port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazaria

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all the experts,
I'm trying to build rs232 communication with my microcontroller and it doesn't work. I would like to check if my COM port works properly. Is there a way to check it? And if it still works, what can cause damage to the com port?

Start up HyperTerminal, establish a new connection via your COM port. Disable handshaking. Connect pins 2 & 3 of the DB9 connector (RxD / TxD). Now type something. If you can see the echo the port seems to be OK.
This simple test will not check the handshake lines, but usually they are not used for a communication to a microcontroller.

bazaria

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks! :) I couldn't type on the HyperTerminal screen but I sent a txt file and got the text on my screen, so it probably means that the port works

Just remove the bridge and try again. Usually typing works...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back