Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To charge UPS Battery by Telephone Line???

Status
Not open for further replies.

geniesgona

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Kindly Help me How to Connect and tell me if circuit needed???

IMG0023A.jpgIMG0024A.jpg

This is not smart at all, cou nan burn telephone line wires, also you need voltage stabilization to around 13,8V for charging one 12V battery. Phone lines cant give you lots of current, usually small devices which use phone line to charge their batteries use pulsed charging method.

If you leave in some country with modern telecom, they can have automatic protection and monitoring systems for each subscriber. Protection system trigger is when current is increased over some level, or current is drained on longer time, example over 30mA, and system automaticly react and disable that phone line, after that telecom operator need to investigate where is trouble, and manually enable subscriber line. Subrscriber line can be permanently disable if usage of that line is not in telecom recommendation for usage.

Better buy small solar panel.

This is not smart at all, cou nan burn telephone line wires, also you need voltage stabilization to around 13,8V for charging one 12V battery. Phone lines cant give you lots of current, usually small devices which use phone line to charge their batteries use pulsed charging method.

If you leave in some country with modern telecom, they can have automatic protection and monitoring systems for each subscriber. Protection system trigger is when current is increased over some level, or current is drained on longer time, example over 30mA, and system automaticly react and disable that phone line, after that telecom operator need to investigate where is trouble, and manually enable subscriber line. Subrscriber line can be permanently disable if usage of that line is not in telecom recommendation for usage.

Better buy small solar panel.

WHich Components i use? will u please tell me? resistor ? Capacitor? Diode?

WHich Components i use? will u please tell me? resistor ? Capacitor? Diode?

Ouu my friend, I dont suggest you this adventure, as friend.

If you whant to introduce yourself to battery chargers you can search EDABoard forum, just use search field in upper right corner. You can find lots diagrams and explanations.

You need voltage regulator and current limiter for sure.

You will just burn phone wires, and battery will stay empty. Phone line cannot give some usefull current for charging that big battery. Phone lines are not designed for supplying and charging devices at all, phone line devices should have their power supplies.

This is not smart at all.

:wink:

It is illegal to STEAL power from the telephone company.
When you draw current from a telephone line then the phone line is off-hook and cannot be used to make or receive phone calls.
The current is much too low (20mA to 30mA) to charge your huge battery anyway.
The telephone company will detect that your phone line is off-hook without making a phone call and will disable your phone line thinking that maybe it is shorted. Then they will investigate and charge you for their service trip to your home.

It is illegal to STEAL power from the telephone company.
When you draw current from a telephone line then the phone line is off-hook and cannot be used to make or receive phone calls.
The current is much too low (20mA to 30mA) to charge your huge battery anyway.
The telephone company will detect that your phone line is off-hook without making a phone call and will disable your phone line thinking that maybe it is shorted. Then they will investigate and charge you for their service trip to your home.

hey friend i live in pakistan ... and anything happens in pakistan:p no one disable phone line until i complaint the deparment round about 5 or 6 times....:grin:

- - - Updated - - -

Ouu my friend, I dont suggest you this adventure, as friend.

If you whant to introduce yourself to battery chargers you can search EDABoard forum, just use search field in upper right corner. You can find lots diagrams and explanations.

You need voltage regulator and current limiter for sure.

You will just burn phone wires, and battery will stay empty. Phone line cannot give some usefull current for charging that big battery. Phone lines are not designed for supplying and charging devices at all, phone line devices should have their power supplies.

This is not smart at all.

Thanx Friend... now i Connect LEDS because of Load Shedding of Electricity... will i connect 24 Leds? and if i connect 24 leds with phone line what value of resisor is used?

Even if you have battery charger (voltage and current regulated) you need lots of time to charge that battery. Lead acid starter C/10. If you have 92Ah /10 that means that you need 9,2A for charging during 10h. Can you imagine charginge of that battery with 30mA (0,03A) of current, what time is needed ? Starter lead acid is float battery that means should be always be full of charge or discharged in small oscillations in percentage (up to 70%) - for longer life. Should not stay longer in discharged state, because sulfatization process, and your battery need long time to recharge, I dont think that can recharge at all at this small charging current.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx Friend... now i Connect LEDS because of Load Shedding of Electricity... will i connect 24 Leds? and if i connect 24 leds with phone line what value of resisor is used?

That depends from what LED did you use, what is LED voltage. You can use this calculator http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator

Most of the world does not have "load shedding".
My electricity is reliable and keeps working. It was properly planned for future additional loads and has backup parts in case something fails.
Maybe every 3 to 5 years a lightning storm destroys something in the electricity system but it is repaired within an hour.

He'll be lucky to get 100-200mW without triggering off-hook. He could get a solar panel for a one-off cost of 20-30 dollars with 10 times that output.
The solar panel would reduce the need to use the electricity company's power lines for lighting LEDs, plus it would save the telephone
company's electricity bill without stealing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.