Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to charge a battery using a SMPS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

milindagarwal91

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have got a SMPS which can supply 12v dc......
the battery charger also provides 12v dc.............

so can i charge a battery(lead acid-12v) using SMPS?????
is it possible.........????????

if itz possible............then how can we charge it?????

Input/output insolation is must for handling/connecting the charger to batteries. if your battery pack is not 240V.

Hi,
For charging 12v lead acid battery, a minimum of 14v is required. So if you want to charge your battery with the existing 12v power supply, you have to use a switcher to boost your voltage.
Tahmid.

milindagarwal91 said:
I have got a SMPS which can supply 12v dc......
the battery charger also provides 12v dc....so can i charge a battery(lead acid-12v) using SMPS????? is it possible........??
If the said SMPS is not a battery charger, and naturally it gives out 12 volts, you cannot charge a 12 volt batterry. When a 12 volt battery is fully charged, the voltage rises to 13.8 volts and thus the charger is expected to deliver the same. A trickle charge option is also expected in a good battery charger.

Jammers said:
Why don't you try using SMPS Adaptors...Specially designed for Telecom Applications...
A battery charger is a "Battery charger" it cant be substituted with "SMPS Adaptors"

You cannot charge the lead-acid battery well, using 12V.

For the battery to be fully charged, you need to bring it up to "float" voltage which is about at least 13.7V.

There are various algorithms of charging that employ constant current, or constant voltage, or both, and then trickle-charge/floating of fully charged battery. But all of them eventually will end at about 13.7-13.9V to float the battery.

So, if using 12V, you will only partly charge the battery, and this eventually is detrimental to its life/quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.