Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a model of diode in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtts

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to simulate a Left_handed Metamaterials with varactor diode by hfss
,but I don't know how to build the model of diode in HFSS?
Could anybody help me ,Thank you very much.

diode modeling in hfss

humm interesting i dont have too much knowledge of HFSS but i think HFSS is meant for Passive components, you can use Ansoft designer along with HFSS to use diodes and transistors, if you get any idea about making active components in HFSS do let me know, i too am interested,

hfss diode simulation

you can not simulate active device by HFSS or other EM tool, they are base on Maxwell equations only. diode is a active device, which is base on quantum physics.

hfss diode modeling

mtts said:
I am trying to simulate a Left_handed Metamaterials with varactor diode by hfss
,but I don't know how to build the model of diode in HFSS?
Could anybody help me ,Thank you very much.

You cannot use HFSS to model the junction. However, if you know the properties of the junction, you can model it with another material with different dielectri constant. But I really do not advise you to do it. Please use device solver like medici, taurus, etc.

mtts

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
diode hfss

Thank you

varactor diode hfss

I'm traying to model capcitor RF by HFSS but when I plot capacitance as fuction of frequency , it is usualy plot unit capacitance in Hz.Could anybody help me ,Thank you very much.

simulate diode in hfss

ayari nadia said:
I'm traying to model capcitor RF by HFSS but when I plot capacitance as fuction of frequency , it is usualy plot unit capacitance in Hz.Could anybody help me ,Thank you very much.

I don't quite understand your question. You cannot plot the capacitance directly. You must extract it from Y-parameter.

simulate diode using hfss

how can you extract it from Y parameter, can you be specific?

simulation diode using taurus medici

This is very interresting because i also work in this way.
My idea is to simulate the effects of the diode by using the lumped RLC. As an example, when the diode is "passant" you can use a low R in the RLC Lumped parameters and a high C for a "blocked" state of the diode.

But the problem i have is that i don't know how to use this RLC Lumped, in fact I've noticed that the dimension of the rectangle that represente the diode have influence on the results. That is bad for my simulations.

Does any body can help me in design a good R and a good C.

Thanks a lot !

Added after 9 minutes:

The other way, is to use a Lumped port and axtract the S matrix (.sPn) of your system and after use this file in an other software (like ADS or matlab)
In ADS, for example, you can replace the port by a diode or by what youy wanted.
But care about the impedance adaptation.

diode in hfss

for mtts's question,

you can model the varactor as resistance + capacitance. you can use two RLC components in series in HFSS. that's how we model varactors.

look at varactor's data sheet to find out R, C, and the physical size of the varactor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back