Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to begin a project with microcontrollers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadolphine2000

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,..

I'm a beginner in the field of ucontrollers, so I need someone to tell me in steps what to do to complete a project.

I have PIC16F84 , MPLAB 5.61 , ICPROG 105A.
I have the code written in assembly but in a notepad file.
I have a programmer(interface) that is compatable with ICPROG and MPLAB.

now my questions are:
1- Where should I write the assembly code.?
2- How to simulate the code.?
3- How to burn the program on the chip.?

Thanks for all your help and time.

pwrte mikrobasic

1. Write the assembly code using MPLAB IDE, read the help of MPLAB IDE.
2. You can use the simulator of MPLAB IDE called MPLAB SIM.
3. You need a programmer to burn the code, search the microcontrollers section.

mplab and ic prog

search on this forum you could find many resources that could be helpful such as books, sample programs

prog net icprog 105c

Hi !

First of all there are updated versions of both MPLAB (the old and stable 5.70.40 and newest 7.1) and ICPROG (105D). When having spare time try to download the new versions (but your software versions work very well with 16F84). Check the Microchip site and ICPROG site.

Answering the questions:

1) You can write the asm programs in any editor, just save in TXT format with .asm extension. The MPLAB is the easier environment but needs more resources. Even the EDIT from DOS can do that and after this you can compile with MPASM (the DOS assembler for PICmicros).

2) MPLAB can simulate the program, but it has severe limitations as for example bad external interfaces. Simulating with MPLAB/SIM you can see the registers changing values, make breaks, inspecting RAM variables, make some button stimulus etc
There is an alternative that is using ICD (in circuit debugger) tools, which allow you to see what is going on inside a real PIC uC working.

3) The MPLAB can burn the 16F84 if you have a compatible PICSTART PLUS programmer or the PROMATE programmer (both from Microchip and third part).

You have the IC-PROG software that can burn also the PIC (and several other models). All you have to do is setup it properly for your programmer hardware, load the HEX file (generated by MPLAB/MPASM - when you build the program) into the memory and execute the "program all" command inside the IC-PROG. Study about configuration bits (fuses of oscillator type, watchdog timer, PWRTE, code protection) to select the more apropriate configurations for your project

picstart plus free mikrobasic

Salam,

A very powerfull book is myke predko- programming and customizing pic microcontroller u can find it on this board

Good luck

ic prog 105c

here is a nice tutorial
**broken link removed**

icprog 105d

I finally wrote a program in Basic and got the *.HEX* file.
The question is:

Can I use ICPROG 105C to download this *.hex* file to the PIC16F84.???

Generally, Is it matter with the ICPROG where the *.hex* file came from.???

Thanks

Re: How to begin.?

Hi,..

I'll use a *.hex* file generated from "MIKROBASIC V1.16" with the ICPROG 105C to download my program on PIC16F84.

Will it work.?

Please Help MEEEEEEEEEEE :)

seadolphine2000 said:
Hi,..

I'll use a *.hex* file generated from "MIKROBASIC V1.16" with the ICPROG 105C to download my program on PIC16F84.

Will it work.?

Please Help MEEEEEEEEEEE :)

If your code worked during your simulation of course there is 99.8 percent that it will work.

Put the 0.2 percent for hardware error and bugs on the compiler.

I compile the program and generate the *.hex* file without errors in the program, How to simulate a program written in " MikroBasic V1.16 ".???

Thanks

seadolphine2000 said:
I compile the program and generate the *.hex* file without errors in the program, How to simulate a program written in " MikroBasic V1.16 ".???

Thanks

If you cannot simulate the file, then try to test the hex file on your design.

Sorry,.. but How can I simulate the hex file.??? What software can I use.??

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.