Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to avoid jitters when reading a output voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanna_gunjan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do i avoid Jitters

Hello,

In one of my application, i am trying to read a Output Voltage of a reed contact in the microcontroller and i am using an opto-coupler for the purpose. The problem is that before the contact is properly closed, there is these jitters there ( with jitters i mean closing and opening of the contact at a very fast rate, before it finally stablizes).

Can anyone suggest me a simple solution to avoid these jitters with few components. Also, i would like to mention that the output of the opto-copler is then read by the microcontroller and which can only generate an interuppt when it sees the falling edge of the signal and i tried to use an RC circuit at the output of the opto-coupler .. but with the slow charging and discharge time the controller is not able to detect the falling edge of the signal..

Please suggest. thanks

Gunjan

Re: How do i avoid Jitters

To avoid jitters u can follow either of the two approaches
1.h/w approach : use nand latch as input stage(google to get ckt)
2.s/w approach : give some time delay for reading of switch after sensing first change of state

I am now trying with connecting a cmos Inverter (with a change in input reference from high to low) in the input side .. as the delay time for this inverter will be a around 200 ns seconds .. i think it will help..

any suggestions on this.. ??

Iam not sure that u hv got d solution.
Using a time delay is Software Solution and what this mean is that after sensing first change of state microcomputer(or device which is used to read switch) should wait for some time > bounce time and then take the reading again which if found different from the previous reading indicate false switching and a valid transition otherwise.

If u want to hv a h/w approach go for nand in input.
Google for more details

tronix said:
Iam not sure that u hv got d solution.
Using a time delay is Software Solution and what this mean is that after sensing first change of state microcomputer(or device which is used to read switch) should wait for some time > bounce time and then take the reading again which if found different from the previous reading indicate false switching and a valid transition otherwise.

Thanks.. this really helped

You need monosatble circuit
it is simple

How do i avoid Jitters

i think this is called de-bouncing and it originally found for push buttons as they bounce :D , there r several soultions i dont know if they r applicable to ur optocoupler but here they r anyway
https://www.elexp.com/t_bounc.htm

p.s. a simple delay loop seems to be the right and simple appraoch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back