Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to apply PWM signal to H-Bridge made of MOSFETS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrunal Ahirrao

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am working on multilevel inverters using cascaded H-bridge topology. But I am confused on how to apply a PWM signal to H bridge for this application. As it is multilevel inverter so the signal voltage should increase step by step so PWM should be used. But I am confused that do I need to apply PWM to all MOSFETS or only one PWM needed as used in L293D(motor speed control application) but for L293 got Enable signal but how to do that in H-bridge made of mosfet?

In a multilevel inverter, each switch is controlled by different waveforms according to the implemented multilevel scheme. It's unlikely that the same PWM is applied to different switches.

As a first step, try to understand how the chosen multilevel scheme is expected to work.

OK so I need to apply different PWM signals to all mosfets?

I am using this circuit.I found it on internet which is used for motor controlling pwm-motor-driver-mosfet-h-bridge-avr-atmega8-circuit.jpg

I am using this circuit
But how is it related to multilevel? It's a regular H-bridge, in this case wired for bipolar (2-level) PWM.

Hi,

The circuit will not function like expected.

The low side FETs are O.K.
But the high side N FET s need a higher gate voltage than the bridge supply.
In your case this means a lot of voltage drop in high side fets. Motor will be slow. A lot of power dissipation in the high side fets.

Not what you want.

Klaus

I am using P channel mosfet in high side. And I am using cascaded H bridge multilevel inverter topology. So I am using H bridge.

Hi,

but your shown schematic shows N channel FETs.

Is your problem solved?
Or do you still need assistance?

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.