Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how linux are used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe kevin

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know linux are open source software based OS..... but i still don't have a clear idea why linux are used... I mean i read in the Articals that linux are used in servers and in super computers and in personal computer as well ....!!!! Now i'm learning the programming languages like C/C++ and some scripting languages...... So can i write a program and execute directly in linux ?? Sir please make me clear on this ??

One of the most important things that an OS allows you to do is run multiple processes (programs) at the "same time" on a single core.

One of the most important things that an OS allows you to do is run multiple processes (programs) at the "same time" on a single core.

What is new in that in comparison with Windows OS ?

I know linux are open source software based OS..... but i still don't have a clear idea why linux are used... I mean i read in the Articals that linux are used in servers and in super computers and in personal computer as well ....!!!! Now i'm learning the programming languages like C/C++ and some scripting languages...... So can i write a program and execute directly in linux ?? Sir please make me clear on this ??

Not all version of Linux are OpenSource. You can use Linux based OS at home or in Office without problems, also you can programming in many languages, and of course you run that directly.

Thank you, but can i directly write a program and execute through this Linux OS ?
I mean suppose i will write a new program C will that be work in my computer machine ?

- - - Updated - - -

What is new in that in comparison with Windows OS ?

Not all version of Linux are OpenSource. You can use Linux based OS at home or in Office without problems, also you can programming in many languages, and of course you run that directly.

Thank u. . . . right now i have Red hat linux 6 do you think this is a open source OS? if not can u suggest the distribution which has the open source software ?

In short yes, you can run your own programs just as in other OS. It's probably easier in Linux than Windoze because the editor and compilers are generaly free too and in most cases included when you install the OS. What you can't do is write a program in say Visual C++ and expect it to run in Linux because some of the commands are specific to Windows drivers and DLLs. The underlying program structure is still the same though and there are equivalent Linux libraries that perform the same functions as the Wndows ones.

It's worth noting that Visual Studio programs can't produce or debug Linux executable files but there are several Linux compilers that produce code that works under both OS.

Please don't think of Linux as a replacement for Windows. Linux is an open-source version of UNIX which was multi-tasking and multi-user almost 20 years before the first version of Windows was released.

Why don't you download a "live" version of Linux and see for yourself. There are many versions which will run at reduced speed from CD/DVD or a USB stick so you can try it out without installing on your hard disk. I would recommend Ubuntu or Mint to get a feel of how it works. When you remove the CD/DVD or USB stick your computer will be completely unaware it ever ran the program and none of your existing files will have been changed. Linux can read Windows files natively so if you want to try out some of your programming, boot a live version of Linux, insert a USB stick and copy your files to it (so your originals are not touched) then try some Linux compilers.

Brian.

In short yes, you can run your own programs just as in other OS. It's probably easier in Linux than Windoze because the editor and compilers are generaly free too and in most cases included when you install the OS. What you can't do is write a program in say Visual C++ and expect it to run in Linux because some of the commands are specific to Windows drivers and DLLs. The underlying program structure is still the same though and there are equivalent Linux libraries that perform the same functions as the Wndows ones.

It's worth noting that Visual Studio programs can't produce or debug Linux executable files but there are several Linux compilers that produce code that works under both OS.

Please don't think of Linux as a replacement for Windows. Linux is an open-source version of UNIX which was multi-tasking and multi-user almost 20 years before the first version of Windows was released.

Why don't you download a "live" version of Linux and see for yourself. There are many versions which will run at reduced speed from CD/DVD or a USB stick so you can try it out without installing on your hard disk. I would recommend Ubuntu or Mint to get a feel of how it works. When you remove the CD/DVD or USB stick your computer will be completely unaware it ever ran the program and none of your existing files will have been changed. Linux can read Windows files natively so if you want to try out some of your programming, boot a live version of Linux, insert a USB stick and copy your files to it (so your originals are not touched) then try some Linux compilers.

Brian.

Thank u,
I know this is a stupid question, but still a small curiosity.... how long it will take to become a masters in linux operating system ? Because now I have learning ethical hacking, and programming languages as well,......

For me best variant of Linux is SuSe. You can have Linux for server/network services and Windows clients.

Time needed for learning depends from that who whants to learn what is capabilities of this person in learning, and what this person needs to learn. Count minimum 6 month of intensive and active practical/theoretical learning for introducing, and for getting medium skills, for very motivated person.

For me best variant of Linux is SuSe. You can have Linux for server/network services and Windows clients.

Time needed for learning depends from that who whants to learn what is capabilities of this person in learning, and what this person needs to learn. Count minimum 6 month of intensive and active practical/theoretical learning for introducing, and for getting medium skills, for very motivated person.

Thank u once again sir.....!! and if possible can u suggest me something about ethical hacking ???? because my aim is to become a good and professional hacker.....!!! and I'm working on it...... so it would be better if i get more and more suggestions.....

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Thank u once again sir.....!! and if possible can u suggest me something about ethical hacking ???? because my aim is to become a good and professional hacker.....!!! and I'm working on it...... so it would be better if i get more and more suggestions.....

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Backtrack - https://www.backtrack-linux.org/

Yes you can .
Linux Distros come with gcc {C}and you can install g++ {C++}

Also most all come with python.

Linux Shell scripting bash / Ksh/Csh + awk + sed scripting

it's fun to explore and learn

Yes you can .
Linux Distros come with gcc {C}and you can install g++ {C++}

Also most all come with python.

Linux Shell scripting bash / Ksh/Csh + awk + sed scripting

it's fun to explore and learn

Thank you and can any one send me the command to switch to GUI and desktop in linux OS ? and a best link to download linux ubuntu OS ?

Most version use a GUI desktop by default and as in Windows, you can open one or more "terminal" windows on top of it. In fact in most versions you can also have multiple desktops, all working independently of each other and each can have their own terminal windws as well.

Brian.

Most version use a GUI desktop by default and as in Windows, you can open one or more "terminal" windows on top of it. In fact in most versions you can also have multiple desktops, all working independently of each other and each can have their own terminal windws as well.

Brian.

Now currently i'm using Red hat linux version 6, it as GUI normal screen something like server OS, is there any command for me to change that to a normal linux desktop?

Now currently i'm using Red hat linux version 6, it as GUI normal screen something like server OS, is there any command for me to change that to a normal linux desktop?
You should use Windows ...... :)

Quick way to switch from KDE to GNOME or viceversa

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/quick-way-to-switch-from-kde-to-gnome-or-viceversa.html

Switching Desktops
**broken link removed**

One my friend is big Linux fan and big Win hater. He get stress and high adrenalin and want to fight when word starting with Micr... or Bill.... :smile:

I think you should try both platforms, and no one request from you to choose side like in some war. You can use both, each for different purpose.

Quick way to switch from KDE to GNOME or viceversa

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/quick-way-to-switch-from-kde-to-gnome-or-viceversa.html

Switching Desktops
**broken link removed**

One my friend is big Linux fan and big Win hater. He get stress and high adrenalin and want to fight when word starting with Micr... or Bill.... :smile:

I think you should try both platforms, and no one request from you to choose side like in some war. You can use both, each for different purpose.
He use Red Hat 6.0 (Hedwig), April 26, 1999 (Linux 2.2.5-15) .... I will understand if you use 2-3 years old version but ...... 13 old OS ....

No my friend time dont have role in this.

We still use WinXP which is out in 2001, still Windows NT Server NT 4.0 (from '90) in lots of servers in EU.

Today we still typing DOS commands in command prompt.

And lots of people uses uC maded before they born.

I think time dont have some in this, I will say purpose and way and purpose of usage. Its not all in version of software, more have way of usage and base idea. Many people use inapropriate uC for some job, which can be done with smaller and weaker uC, maybe job is not for uC at all. :)

Older version of Linux is good for older and weaker PCs compared to this today. Linux today need lots of hardware resources to work. Older PCs uses less power, specially important if we have battery or green energy source.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.