Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does the job market in RF design look like in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoK

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Job in USA

Hi there!
I'm thinking about finding job int he UK or USA. I gave got some very useful feedback regarding the UK, but how is the market for an newly graduated (MsSC) RF designer in the US?? What are the possibiltys regarding green card and so on? I am swedish citizen and have done my studies in denmark and sweden, mainly denmark.

Thanks!

Job in USA

Regarding the USA, the number of foreigners hired by US tech companies declined sharply in 2002-2003. (Some would say the tightening of national security after the Sept, 2001 terrorist attacks, but H1B applicants were already on the decline due to the economic situation.)

Your chances would have been much better if you had completed your studies in the USA, as you would already be in the US, applying for a job through a campus/university recruitment program. (US Companies tend to hire the most foreigners this way.) If you're trying to apply as a foreigner (out of country), unless the company is absolutely unable to find local applicants, or you happen to have some ultra-speciality hot-skill (like 10GHz RF-design on bulk CMOS), your chances are slim.

The other problem is job security. There used to be a perception that non-US citizen workers had "better" job-security than US-citizen workers, because the foreigners are paid less (and hence, the foreigner is more cost-effective.) But that is no longer true -- we all know the high-tech industry undergoes boom/bust cycles quite rapidly, and there is a good chance a job position will not last a full 4 years (to get green card status.) H1Bs are regularly laid off now, too, along with the rest of us US citizens. I don't remember the exact details of the H1B program, but I think you must work continuously (in the same field) for 4-5 years to earn elgibility for green-card status. If you are laid-off, you must quickly find a job in the same (or related) field, otherwise you will be forced to leave.

Re: Job in USA

Bruno,

If you are Swedish citizen that means you are an EU resident (correct me if I am wrong), and by that you can find employment throughout the EU member countries. This gives you many opportunities. Why not looking for employment in Switzerland, Germany, Austria etc?

Leave US, as the guy from Germany mentioned the Americans don't give H1B visas easily and he is right in every word. Try to look for companies in mainland Europe, your chances there are much better. Many companies give you internship if you need names I can give you a long list.

Thanks to you both!!
And to 'T' if u can give me the list I would be happy!! If u do not want to post it send it to BrunoK@xuppa.com

Thanks you both!!

I've got an interest in that list of EU empl companies, too. Pls, post it to me by PM or via e-mail alextsu@mail333.com

BrunoK said:
Thanks to you both!!
And to 'T' if u can give me the list I would be happy!! If u do not want to post it send it to BrunoK@xuppa.com

Thanks you both!!

Sorry, but xuppa.com has terminated its webmail service...PLease send the mail to:
bkotovich@gmail.com

Thanks and best regards

Several months before 9/11, I got my H1B visa approved. It's stamped nicely in my passport. The thing is I never managed to step foot in US. The company that paid for my H1B visa spend more than USD5K for it but they didn't called me to go and actually work there. They just say don't resign your current job yet, wait till it's confirm. After several month I don't hear anything anymore from them. So I figure it's either 9/11 or the economic situation there. Tough luck.

Hi T

I'm need this list too, can you sendme? I'll be verry hapy is u do that.

Thanks

T said:
Bruno,

If you are Swedish citizen that means you are an EU resident (correct me if I am wrong), and by that you can find employment throughout the EU member countries. This gives you many opportunities. Why not looking for employment in Switzerland, Germany, Austria etc?

Leave US, as the guy from Germany mentioned the Americans don't give H1B visas easily and he is right in every word. Try to look for companies in mainland Europe, your chances there are much better. Many companies give you internship if you need names I can give you a long list.

You may land on a Swedish company's payroll such as Saab Ericsson in the USA.

Such company's always look for their native speakers, however, you may have to change technologies to get such job i.e., you may not exactly find a job that fits your educational/experience profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.